Chapter Forty-Four

"Are you two planning to work nicely together?" Byron met my eyes briefly. He was smiling widely.

"Yeah, I have no problem" Henri smiled at me. I tried to keep a passive face.

"Fine" I shrugged. Honestly, I did not want to work with him but I had no choice. There was a smug smile on Byron's face. He knew that we had broken up.

"Good, Henri you have your instructions. Make sure she starts to practice real targets before you leave, again. She needs to be ready for their next Rank. And add a couple of work outs in her training" Byron raised his eyebrows at Henri who nodded.

"Yes, sir" he saluted at him with a broad grin. I lifted my lips in dislike.

"Alright I will leave you two to it" Byron wasn't bothering to hide his pleased smile. He seemed really light on his feet. "I want a full report on my desk before you to take off."

"Got it" Henri answered with an eye roll.

Henri started to get close to me. I shook my head.

"Just tell me what it is that you want me to do?" I stepped away as he got closer.

"Oh come on Iris, don't be difficult"

"Am I over-reacting? You are the one that cheated" I replied as rudely as possible. "Remember"

"Are you not going to let that go?"

"No I am not. What if I would have cheated? I'm sure you would have been a jerk, Henri" I snapped in response.

"Fine, what is it that you want me to do? Do you want me to get on my hands and knees to apologize to you?"

"That sounds nice" I replied sarcastically. "No what I want you to do say is that you were wrong, Henri."

"I have apologized"

"Yes but do you really think that is enough?" I was blinking tears back. "It is like you don't care that you cheated on me- you are spending your time around with her."

He merely blinked at me.

"I don't know if all boys are stupid or you are just worse" I was angrier with him. I placed my hand on the table. There were a variety of knives on the table.

"You and I broke up" Henri answered.

"We should start practice" I replied. I picked up my favorite knife. "Don't we have to start real practice?"

"That isn't a good idea" his voice wavered. He was eyeing the knife in my hand.

"No, let's practice" I answered, picking up multiple knives. "Or do you want me to tell Byron that you are refusing to work with me" I arched my eyebrows.

"No" he sounded scared. His voice had squeaked. He went to stand in front of a target. He stood with his legs slightly parted and his palms out.

"You know Ezra told me" I lifted up the knife. He was unblinkingly staring at me. 'He told me revenge was sweet" I flicked a knife at him. It was only a few inches from his right shoulder. "I have to agree that it is" I flicked another knife quickly before he could react. It met the side of his neck.

He seemed to sigh with relief. He had never shown any kind of fear but right now he had to be sweating bullets.

"I am so angry with you for cheating on me with that girl" I flicked another knife it met the space underneath his armpit. "Especially since you might be actually sleeping with her now"

Without thinking I threw at another knife, it landed between his legs. He let out a scared yelp.

"I'm not mad" I shrugged. I threw another one. It landed next to his ear. "Just upset but I will get over it" I roughly threw another one it barely missed the top of his head. I stepped close to him. He hadn't moved an inch. He watched me as I got closer to him. I slowly pulled out every knife. I glanced down in between his legs.

"Maybe that's why I never slept with you because I didn't trust you" I stepped closer to him. I slowly kneeled without lifting my eyes from him. "Unfortunately, Byron was right" My fingers wrapped around the knife between his legs. His eyes flickered once downward. I placed my hand on his chest.

I roughly pulled out the knife.

"You don't know what you are talking about?" Henri answered. He took the knife roughly out of my hand. "If I cheated, I had a reason" he pulled me against him. "If I am hanging out with Lindsay then that is another reason. If I am sleeping with her that is a personal reason, Iris."

"So you are going to tell me that because I didn't sleep with you" I pressed my hands against his chest. "You broke up with me"

His fingers dug into my back. He threw the knife aside.

"You broke up with me for cheating" Henri corrected me.

"There isn't a difference. You basically broke up with me the moment you cheated which is something that I never expected you to do" I tried to make him let me go. He held on holding me closer. He placed his hand on my shoulder and forcefully pulled me closer. "Not you"

"Like I said I have a reason. I care about you" he touched my face but I tilted away from him. "I still care about you" he leaned forward to kiss me but I pushed on his chest.

"If you kiss me, I will burn you" I threatened.

"No you won't" he grabbed my face and pressed his lips against mine. Instead of fighting back or burning him, I kissed him back. I wrapped my arms tightly around him and pulled him closer.

He pulled away slowly. His lips were only a few inches from mine.

"I am not sleeping with her" his lips brushed against mine as he spoke. My lips were shaking. "Do you think I am stupid enough to sleep with her when I had a girl like you." He grasped the back of my neck tightly. I pressed my lips against his once more. "Tell Ezra and Thomas to be careful" he whispered in my ear. I stiffened meeting his eyes. "The Guard students are being watched carefully, Iris."

"Henri" I mumbled. He shook his head slightly.

"Shshh that you have to keep to yourself. Be very careful, Iris. Tell Byron" he finally let me go. "I am doing what I can to help. I am sorry" he looked sincere for the first time since we had broken up. "I never meant to hurt you, trust me. Okay"

"Okay" I answered. He leaned forward and kissed my lips softly. He stepped away from me.

"Pissing you off is really good for your aim. I don't think you need me to instruct you anymore Iris. By the way, that knife almost made me pee myself" he answered. I turned my head to look at him. There was an amused smile on his face. "Byron will have a full report on his desk in the morning." he raised his eyebrows meaningfully.

"Okay"

He started to scratch his arms. I noticed there were a few raised bumps on his arm. I noticed he had broken out with hives.

"Did you hex me?" Henri looked torn. He looked amused yet scared.

"No" I scoffed at him. "I did think about it though" I couldn't help smiling.

"Iris" he shook his head. His voice was stern, his jaw was set hard.

"I didn't do it. I don't even know any spells to hex cheating ex-boyfriends" I merely shrugged with a smile. "You should go see Nurse Gail about that."

I arrived to my room to find Ezra and Thomas. They both had huge broad smiles on his face.

"So did he try to kiss you?"

"What?" I turned to them. They had hexed him.

"If he kissed you, he would break out in hives. Like I said revenge is sweet" Ezra started to laugh. "They are going to last a couple of days" he fell on my bed laughing like a maniac.

"It was his idea" Thomas started to laugh. "I only did the hex, he took care of the rest."

Part of me felt guilty but it made me rather satisfied that he had been hexed. Whatever his reasons were for cheating, they couldn't be justifiable. If he wanted to break up with me he should have done it the old fashion way and just told me.