7

"Are you sure you're feeling okay Leo? You look like you're about to pass out." Mars asked worriedly, taking a bite of her mac and cheese.

We were allowed to pick out a roommate or two for company in our new rooms. Of course I picked Mars, and Oscar had joined us too. He insisted it was because he didn't know anyone else.

I think he secretly likes us. But he would never admit that.

We all took a hot shower, now being refreshed and looking cleaner than ever. Then we were led to the giant cafeteria where us newbies joined a whole bunch of other teens with special powers. Isaac explained that although many people found their own places in the city to live, many decided to stay at 'the hub' (what people call this main building here) since it was so big and people could easily live here.

There had to be more than 2,000 kids staying here, surprising for how small the hub looks. (it's actually the size of a large highschool)

Even with the nice shower, my head is still pounding. Are headaches supposed to be this painful?

"I'm fine. I think it might be the lack of sleep. All the excitement must be catching up to me." I tell Mars. She doesn't look too convinced. Oscar was munching on a burger, possibly ignoring us. I don't blame him. We haven't eaten for a whole day. Although my headache is making me less hungry.

"Well get this." Mars began, leaning in to talk quieter. "Evelyn Dunnwatt, the super short girl with the gap teeth and a beauty mark above her lip? Super pretty?" She questioned, trying to see if I recognized her description.

"Yeah I remember her, she's pretty." I say. I remember she used to be in room 2 back at the lab. She said hi to me once but we never really talked. She seemed sweet.

"Apparently when she went to her room, she fell asleep in the tub and slipped under." Mars said. I choked on a noodle.

"She's dead?!" I squeaked. A few people sitting around us turned and gave us concerned looks. I flushed.

"Can you guys quiet down? It's so loud in here." Oscar grumbled. We ignored him.

"No! No! Of course she's not dead." Mars waved her hand in my face. Then she paused for a moment, thinking. "Well, she would have been..." She added. I looked at her like she was crazy.

"You're going to need to continue because you are starting to creep me out." I said calmly. Mars pursed her lips, giving me a dull look.

"She fell asleep in the tub and slipped under, exhausted from just...everything i guess. How she didn't wake up? I don't know. But she didn't die! Apparently when her roommate, Jenny Riggs, noticed she had been in there a while she woke Evelyn up." Mars explained.

"Seriously guys shut up." Oscar whined. Ignored again.

"So how was she alive? And why didn't she notice she was underwater? She like... pass out?" I ask.

Seriously? There's no way that girl didn't wake up when she was underwater.

"Okay first of all, I'm getting there. And second, I don't know she was probably super tired? I'm not her." Mars huffed. I put my hands up, backing off. "Apparently when Evelyn woke up, well obviously she didn't drown, but she could breathe." Mars continued, stars in her eyes.

"Well I would hope so...that's kind of vital in order to...live." I say slowly. Mars flicked my forehead.

"I mean she was breathing underwater. Like a fish." Mars gasped.

That made more sense.

"So that's her power?" I asked Mars. She shrugs.

"I assume so, I mean you can't just breathe underwater." Mars says, leaning back in her seat and popping a forkful of mac and cheese in her mouth.

"It's been, what, 20 minutes? And you're already gossiping." I said, shaking my head.

"Actually I heard it from Oscar, who knew he was such a gossip. Said he overheard it on the way down here. Which is weird seeing as Evelyn and Jenny were so far ahead of us." Mars says as she swallows.

Both of us turn to Oscar who has his head in his hands.

"You? Gossip? Never in a million years would I think you were a gossiper." I said in disbelief. Oscar rolled his eyes as he looked up.

"I thought you guys might want to know. She's still talking about it. And she's so loud! I don't know how you guys haven't heard her talking this whole time." Oscar mumbled. I frowned and looked past Mars to the other kids in the cafeteria.

Evelyn sat at the next table over, Jenny sitting right beside her. Jenny was going on to a couple teens, none of which I recognized. They all looked bored.

Evelyn was listening intently. Munching on a salad.

That's not right.

"Uh...Oscar?" I asked hesitantly, eyes never leaving Evelyn. Oscar cocked his head, gesturing for me to continue. "Evelyn isn't talking." I continue.

Oscar and Mars freeze before turning to look at Evelyn, still eating her salad.

"What? But I can hear her talking! She was just talking about what happened this morning!" Oscar said frustrated, still looking at Evelyn.

He's going crazy.

Oscar whipped his head back towards me.

"I am not going crazy!" He said angrily. My eyes widened.

"But-" I was at a loss of words.

How did he know I said that?!

"What do you mean, shrimpdick? You spoke. I heard you say it." Oscar said.

Am I talking out loud?

"Yes!" Oscar yelped. Mars was looking at Oscar like he was crazy.

"Who are you talking to?" She asked him. Oscar looked at her confused.

"Oscar I haven't said anything." I said.

"He's reading your mind." A girl suddenly says.

She was short and a little chubby, with smooth dark skin. She was pretty.

She took a seat next to Oscar, smiling hesitantly.

"I can read minds too. I used to think everything was super loud, I heard people when they weren't talking. You can read minds. Congrats." She explained. "My name is Raven, I've been here for two years now." She adds on, sticking her hand out to Oscar with flushed cheeks. He hesitated but grabbed her hand.

"So I can read minds?" Oscar breathed out. Raven nodded.

"That is so...COOL!" Mars squealed. "What am I thinking right now?' She gasped before squeezing her eyes shut.

"Women." Oscar, Raven, and I said at the same time. Both of them looked at me.

"What? That's all Mars ever thinks about" I shrugged. They both shook their heads.

"You'll probably train with me then when it starts up. We usually just train in an extra classroom since we don't do anything physically." Raven told Oscar.

"What do we do in training?" He asked her. She shook her head.

"You'll find out when it starts. You guys look finished, want a tour?" She asked, standing up. The three of us nodded and stood up as well.

"Perfect, let's go!"