Ooga booga

When Peter woke up the first time, he was still in the alleyway. His vision was hazey, but he could recognize Doctor Strange's outline above him, and feel the burning sensation in his chest.

Stephen's head perked up when Peter coughed, yelling something at him while cradling his cheek. Peter knew it was something close to "stay up, stay with me" or whatever, but his head really didn't want to believe that.

He flipped in and out of consciousness, before inevitably shutting down entirely.

The second time he woke up, he was back at the tower in a bed. He didn't move, just kept opening and closing his eyes until it stopped hurting to do so.

"Hello?" He croaked out, refusing to move his head in case anyone was with him.

He didn't want to look at anyone right now. He couldn't face it.

"Peter!" Someone grabbed his hand "I'm right here bud" the familiar voice bounced in and out of his head as he closed his eyes again, feeling a shift on weight from the edge of the bed.

"I'm sorry" he whispered, knowing he had already broken half of the rules in the fraction of an hour he'd been given them.

He'd set them back so far.

"No, no it's okay" he assured, rubbing circles on Peter's thumb to try and calm him down "I get it".

"No—" Peter croaked, opening his eyes, "no, you don't".

More crying. Always crying. Peter didn't even care how pathetic he was being anymore, he was sick of shutting up for once in his damned life. Tony said it was alright, and if he couldn't handle it, so be it! Peter Did. Not. Care.

Tony waited patiently for him to continue.

"I—I heard something. From you guys. I was.. I thought you said something.. I don't think I was right" he admitted, moving his free arm up to his face to wipe his nose, "I mean, I know it wasn't true. I know that now. I wasn't thinking it through, I just.. it's happened so many times by now" he whispered, "I didn't want to be here when it happened again".

Tony nodded, breathing an air of relief that Peter was at least safe.

"You scared the shit out of me, you know" he chuckled, wiping his forehead up to his hair, which he slicked back smoothly, "you know, most kids your age aren't too commonly found jumping out of windows like that. I thought.. well, I don't know what I thought, but I might've had a meltdown if it weren't for your two little nerd friends" he laughed.

Peter smiled fondly at the thought of them. They were so great. With them, he felt like an equal. He was hoping to feel that way here too someday.

"I'm really sorry.. I think you gave me too much access to the controls of this tower" he chuckled, a bit sad he'd lose the power, but he was beginning to see how his fight or flight responses took over his rational thinking.

It was for the best.

"Hey, don't sweat it, I'm just as much in the wrong as you are, dear infant of mine" he grinned.

Peter looked over with his own stupid smile, despite the pain it was to even exist with the covered gash on his stomach.

"How bad did I do on it?" He asked, his chin hitting the top of his chest as he tried to look down, evidently failing.

"Nothing Stephen couldn't clean up. You'll be good as new in no time" Tony assured, squeezing Peter's hand.

"So long as you don't go off pulling more reckless stunts like that" Stephen stepped into the room with a tray, raising an eyebrow at Peter, "you're still human, last I checked. Even though you're not supposed to be awake for the next couple of hours, I firmly believe that mortality is something that still curses you".