A royal mess

"Peter has been in there a while.." Stephen announced, checking his phone, aware that an hour had not only passed, but was already had the funeral planned for Monday.

The pasta was ready and the two of them were just going back and fourth through phone calls and dates to meet with the Children Bringers. After quite a bit of research, they figured out who to go to for legal adoptions. Peter wasn't fully registered in the system yet though, seeing as he's been declared missing ever since the hospital trip.

That was something they could deal with later. It'd already take months before he was allowed to stay there without the daily checkups after at least a week to be admitted to the agency themselves, so long as they got to hang out with him, neither of them truly cared. Eventually, everything would be all fine.

"Now that you mention it, I would've expected to hear a scream of 'ice ice baby' by now" Tony agreed.

Maybe he just liked cold showers?

"I can't believe I'm gonna be a dad" Stephen let his head drop into his hands, clearly conflicted.

"Gosh, me too" Tony leaned back in his seat.

They say in silence, a respectful one, each occupied with their own thoughts.

"Peter's a good kid though" Tony grinned, lightly kicking Stephen's foot under the table.

"Yes, that I believe, but would I be a good parent?" He asked, looking up, "I mean— it's not like my my home is filled with hundreds of ancient destructive and conscious beings, forget the fact that my mere existence is a risk to people around me, but I don't know where to start? Give me a normal child, I'd already be lost, but this? Someone who I've got practically nothing in common with? His life has been terrible, Anthony. My life was stressful, yes, but it was a normal life. I got to choose every action up until the crash, and from there that principle remained the same. He's been thrown around like a rag doll for who knows how many years, and I've got nothing to help with that" he sighed.

"I get it, you're not the emotional one, but sometimes I feel like I'm not either? And you know what? I don't think he cares! Have you seen that kid? Tough as nails. Give him a hot minute to warm up, he'll be right behind you in this. You think you're clueless? At least you've actually been able to help him with anything. I'm just the distraction in every case so far. Even before I knew" he uttered.

Stephen sighed again. They must've been way ahead of themselves.

There was no way in hell they were backing up, but both of them needed to take a very deep dive into how to deal with this. Perhaps they could get help from other members of the team?

Not many of them were very.. parent like though. Half of them were already the ones being babysat anyhow.

"Let's make a list of people to ask Peter about, to see if he'd be okay with them taking care of them on days we're busy. There's gotta be enough so that he can always have one ready at his side, right?" Tony decided, pulling out another paper nearly identical to the previous lists they'd made.

"We'll have to check with them first—"

"Nah, since none of them pay rent anyways, this can be a great alternative" Tony stood up and grabbed the pen off of the counter they'd been using, returning to his seat, "so, whatcha got".

"Barton, obviously. He's got his own kids already. A little immature, but that tends to appeal to kids" Stephen started.

Tony wrote while he suggested.

"Natasha. She has a soft spot for children, and I bet she's already got her suspicions on how normal he actually is" Tony raised a brow at that, but he trusted Stephen's judgement.