Chapter 40: Redemption

Iroh beamed with delight as he stood at the door that led to the back of the tea shop. The tea shop was called The Jasmine Dragon, and Iroh had just met his staff. There were female greeters whose job it was to take people to their seats, and male servers who took people's orders and delivered the tea and pastries. The staff had already been working there before Iroh took over, and they were excited by their new employer. Of course, Iroh introduced himself as Mushi so he could keep up his disguise. The shop was pretty big, with many tables and beautiful decor. Zuko asked what happened to the previous owner, and Iroh informed him that Kyro was that person. The tea shop was actually owned by The Order of the White Lotus.

For most of the morning Zuko and I helped Iroh in the back of the shop making tea and pastries. There was another cook that worked there, and Iroh quickly educated the man on how to brew real tea. Zuko and I were amused by how flustered the man was under Iroh's training. Once the cook got the hang of it though, Iroh went out to see how the guests were doing.

As Zuko and I watched Iroh go out and mingle with the men and women being served, I smiled. Iroh looked so happy. "He loves it here," I commented.

Zuko nodded. "Yeah. He's always wanted to open a tea shop... he mentioned it many times on our journey. Looks like he finally got his wish."

"Do you think... he'll end up wanting to stay here when the war ends?"

Zuko frowned. "I don't know... I was kind of hoping he'd come back to the palace once I become Fire Lord... I'll be... lonely... if he's not there."

His words pierced through me. I realized Zuko was right. Once we defeated Fire Lord Ozai and Princess Azula, all Zuko would have was his Uncle. At that moment, I started to question whether going to the South Pole after the war was the right decision. Zuko would need me once the Fire Lord was defeated... and I really didn't know anything about the Southern Water Tribe. I'd probably be an outsider there... Maybe the Fire Nation really was where I belonged?

Turning, I went back into the kitchen area and walked over to the open window where Yuna was perched. Stopping beside her, I pet her gently as I looked out the window at the people walking in the distance. I did wonder how the Fire Nation differed in both architecture and appearance. I had only known a few people during my time in the Fire Nation, and most of them were guards and servants. I wanted to see the Fire Nation again, and actually learn about it. However, the thought of wanting to be in the Fire Nation made me feel guilty because I was considering not being with my Water Tribe family.

Zuko suddenly stepped beside me. "Did I say something wrong?"

His question surprised me. Then I felt ashamed for making him worry. "No. It's not you. Sorry. I've just had a lot on my mind today. If we receive word about my family, I'm just nervous how they will react to everything. To me, you're so kind and caring. But... to them, you're someone they believe is constantly trying to pursue Aang. I'm worried they won't give us enough time to speak before lashing out at you."

He placed his hand against my cheek and brushed his thumb gently on my skin. He whispered so that the cook on the other side of the room couldn't hear. "Don't worry about that... Like I said... I'm ready for whatever may come towards me. I've hurt your cousins and the Avatar in the past... I deserve their spite. I'll do my best to convince them I've changed."

I gave a small nod. "I just don't want them to hurt you."

He smiled reassuringly. "I don't think they will. I don't know why... but I have a good feeling about this. I think it's all going to work out."

Yuna chimed, "Mew-Hoo!"

Zuko smirked. "See. Even Yuna agrees."

I smiled only slightly. "Okay."