Chapter 31: Honor

I feel bad about skipping the Zuko Alone episode, so I decided to add this small chapter while I work on the next one. Enjoy!

Chapter 31: Honor

Third Person POV

Gripping the reins of the ostrich-horse that had yet to be named, Zuko stared at the mountainous terrain in dismay. For the last few hours he had been following the tracks of a large Fire Nation war machine. He had heard word from some terrified travelers on the road that his sister Azula was in the area; that she acquired some new technology and some companions to travel with; and that she was after the Avatar and a certain dual-bender. He could see the deep tracks in the dirt were moving alongside a line of familiar white fur which he knew belonged to the Avatar's giant flying sky-bison. Zuko hoped if he followed the Fire Nation tank's tracks that he would be led straight to the boy.

He also was hopeful he would see Amara again too... Although, he was aware once she realized his plans that she would not be happy with him. He was certain she had come to care greatly for the young airbender during her travels with her Water Tribe family; he would upset her greatly by trying to apprehend the boy.

Zuko sighed heavily. He had been conflicted for the last twenty-four hours. His thoughts were a mess. While he wanted nothing more than to find the Avatar, he also didn't want to upset Amara.

In addition, he missed his uncle more than ever. He felt hated in the Earth Kingdom, and alone... When an Earth Kingdom boy named Lee and his mother Sela learned about Zuko's true identity the other day at the small farming town, they immediately showed him nothing but spite. Even after saving Lee from some rogue Earth Kingdom soldiers, they still kicked him out of town. Of course, he didn't blame them... He was their enemy... But it still hurt.

He knew if Iroh had been with him then the man would've comforted him. Iroh had been his only solace since the North Pole... His guide... He wished he hadn't been stubborn and left the man. But his uncle had just been messing with his head so much during their time in the Earth Kingdom, and he was scared he would start to listen to Iroh...

He feared that he would give up his quest for the Avatar...

Zuko recalled the last conversation he had with his uncle, just a few hours before he made the decision to go his separate way. He knew his uncle had only meant well...

Iroh walked into the cave and noticed the new teapot and teacups that Zuko had 'acquired' for them. He spoke with suspicion, knowing his nephew had been stealing often in the last few days. The ostrich-horse they had taken from Song and her mother had only been the beginning.

"Looks like you did some serious shopping. But where did you get the money?"

Zuko sat against the cave wall, avoiding his uncle's gaze. He wasn't proud of his life of thievery as the Blue Spirit, but he was so tired of having nothing. No ship or crew... no home... no friends...

"Do you like your new teapot?"

Iroh sighed. "To be honest with you, the best tea tastes delicious whether it comes in a porcelain pot or a tin cup." He walked over and sat beside Zuko with understanding. "I know we've had some difficult times lately. We've had to struggle just to get by." He placed a hand on Zuko's shoulder. "But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honor in poverty."

Zuko grit his teeth. His eyes burned. "There's no honor for me without the Avatar."

"Zuko..." Iroh spoke again, and then sighed once more. "Even if you did capture the Avatar, I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now."