Chapter 34: Lightning

School starts tomorrow, so I'm not sure when the next chapters will be done. However, here's a chapter for you all just to thank you for your continuous support.

Thanks,

Faith

Chapter 34: Lightning

(Third Person POV)

When Zuko woke up in the late morning, he jumped a bit when he heard the flapping of wings nearby. He opened his eyes to see the black feathered white furred cat-owl had flown up to the window sill of the abandoned building they were in to look outside. As the cat-owl swished her tail back and forth, Zuko looked over at the reason for the small animal's presence.

He was relieved when he saw the sleeping teenage girl was where he'd left her, laying on the blue sleeping-bag he had helped her roll out the day before. He was relieved because he had been worried that everything was a dream. He had been scared to wake up. He was scared Amara had left with her family. He was glad she stayed. He knew it was selfish to want to keep her from her cousins, but he had missed her. He was so grateful she chose to help him with his uncle. He had needed her...

He recalled the events that occurred twelve hours before. Once he and Amara had managed to carry Iroh into the closest abandoned building (Amara taking his legs while Zuko took his upper half) and lowered him to the floor, Amara told Zuko to take Iroh's shirt off while she ran out to grab her bags. When she got back, she rummaged through the pack she had and pulled out some rolled up gauze and a canteen of water.

"I'm not as good as Katara," she said softly, looking over the damage. "But I know how to repair the worst of it. We can at least heal it enough so he's more comfortable and there's less risk of infection."

She proceeded to open the canteen and pull water out. She used both of her hands to hover the liquid over the marred flesh. As she concentrated her energy into the deepest part of the burn, the water started to glow. Zuko was mesmerized as he watched Amara use her healing abilities. He hadn't known she could do such a thing. She focused on the area for a few minutes, repairing the damaged tissue and flesh as much as she could. When the worst of it was mended, she put her remaining water back in the canteen. The bleeding had stopped and the blisters were gone. All that remained was the burn.

"He'll be okay," she whispered. "The pain is probably what knocked him out. He'll hopefully wake tomorrow. I can try and heal him some more after I've gotten some rest. We should put gauze on him though just in case it opens again."

Zuko held Iroh up as Amara moved the gauze around the man's back and chest. She had just enough to cover the area, and she was relieved. Finally, once the mending was done, Zuko lowered the man back to the ground.

Amara let out a deep breath when the worst was over. "He just needs rest."

The cat-owl hopped over and nuzzled the man's cheek. Zuko looked at the creature puzzled, only seeming to notice her for the first time. "Is... it yours?"

Amara held her hand out and the cat-owl moved over to her. She pet the space between the creature's ears. "Her name's Yuna... I lost my cousins for a little bit one day, and found her. Her mom was killed by a cat-gator so I took her in."

Yuna purred and then chimed. "Mew-Hoo!"

Zuko was amazed. Then he smiled. "Why am I surprised? You do make the sound perfectly. Maybe you are secretly a cat-owl, and that's why they're drawn to you."

Yuna moved over to Zuko, and Zuko reached out to gently pet her on the head. Yuna purred in acceptance.

As Zuko pet Yuna, Amara suddenly swayed. She caught herself from falling over, placing her hand on the ground. Zuko could tell she was exhausted. "You should sleep... we'll talk more in the morning." He stood and walked over to her pack. He untied the sleeping bag he saw earlier, and then rolled it out for her.