XX

XX: Six Feet Under

"My engagement party is coming up

"My engagement party is coming up." Bianca excitedly bounces on the balls of her feet. I was a bit confused by her sudden enthusiasm since she mentioned he was a dick.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" I ask her and she smiled to herself as she cooked her egg at the stove. I was leaning on the counter near her.

"I get to see my friends and my father promised me a bag of my choice if I behave. Plus who doesn't enjoy a good party?" I laughed at her reasons but they were understandable, she was always the one to find something to enjoy out of the bad.

"We are going to go dress shopping today for the occasion. My mom wants to be there for the wedding dress selection though." I tried to refrain from getting to excited since Mateo walked into the kitchen as Bianca spoke.

"Good morning, Neonata." He was dressed in workout clothing which wasn't what I was used to seeing him in, he looked hot. His hair was still pretty long, I figured he'd plan to keep it that way for a while, he did get his growing beard lined up and shaved down a little though. It made him look older and that made me squeeze my thighs together.

"Good morning." I say and his comes over kissing my lips twice and swatting my ass hard enough for it to sting. Bianca makes a barfing noise and my cheeks tint.

"Today you're going to stay with Bianca, Franky and Kenzi. Don't wander off anywhere and don't talk to anyone." For some reason he looked at Bianca for the closing sentence.

"Okay." Why was Kenzi coming?

"Behave." Is all he says before kissing me once more and leaving us alone.

"How can you date him? He's literally holding the keys to our cells." Bianca exaggerated jokingly but we both knew there was truth in it.

"He can be sweet. I think he just needs a little love, he takes care of so much and didn't have anyone to take care of him." I could see he was trying. And I think I was falling, quickly.

-

"What about this one?" She came out this time in a good short dress with a plunging neckline. It was beautiful and different from the others and made her look taller.

"I really like that one." Bianca frowns at me. "You said that about the last two." She was right, I honestly thought they all looked good on her but every time I said it Bianca found something wrong with it.

"I'm sorry." I say and she goes to close the curtains again to try on another.

"I'm gonna go to the restroom, I'll be right back." I call from outside the dressing room door.

Walking outside the dressing room Franky was clicking away at candy crush on his phone.

I decide not to bother him and just tell Kenzi who should be standing out of the store in the mall. When I exited he was on a phone call standing a little farther down from the entrance.