XIV

XIV: Angst

Today I was at the city office with Mateo and Benjamin they were speaking about something I shouldn't know about, considering I was sitting on the couch with headphones blasting the Summer Walker album

I was curious to know what their conversation consists of but I didn't want to risk getting caught and having another altercation with Mateo. We are doing good.

I got really bored at the house all alone so I asked to tag along whenever he left and he agreed on the circumstance that I followed his directions. It had been about three hours now and I was flipping through a book that I borrowed from Bianca.

Suddenly the music stopped and my eyes flickered up to see Benji leaving the room. "El, come here." He was standing near his desk as he had been before and looking down at his cellphone. I slowly made my way over to him and he gestured for me to take a seat in the chair directly in front of where he stood.

"Is everything okay?" I asked seeing he looked a little off or maybe I was just overanalyzing him.

"We will be having some guests over for a little while, something happened at my safe house and so they will be staying with us for a little while." He sounded hesitant and I was nervous about these guests. What if they don't like me? Are they in the same business as him?

"Are these guests more of your family?" I ask and he steps forward smoothing his hand over my curls. "You could say that." Is all he says and I nod knowing that it was all I would get until I met them.

My driver is going to drive you back home so you can get ready for them to arrive, we will have dinner in a few hours with them. I have to finish up a few things here but I'll be right behind you, baby." With that, he leans down and places a soft kiss on my lips before I go.

-

When I arrived at the house it was very busy, the aroma of food was very nice and made my stomach growl on the spot. I walked up to our shared room to be greeted by Art who had chewed on one of Mateo's shoes near the bed. After scolding her I searched for the match and threw them out.

I wasn't sure who was coming but I dressed nicely nevertheless. I settled for a light denim skirt with a loose-styled white button-down tucked inside. I topped it off with some accessories and white heeled sandals. I applied a bit of lipgloss and some false lashes deciding not to do a full face for this occasion.

As I finished getting ready Bianca walked in with jeans and a Nirvana t-shirt and a messy bun. She looked stunning without even trying. "Hey sis, are you ready to meet my niece? I haven't seen her in a year, I miss her so much." Bianca says excitedly making me think back to Mateo mentioning he didn't really talk to all his siblings much. Maybe I was going to meet the rest of them and their kids if Bianca says their niece will be there.

"Wow, I didn't know you guys had a niece. You'd think the way Mateo acts that he would be the eldest." I laugh and Bianca opens her mouth to speak but is interrupted by Mateo coming inside and giving his sister a once over.