THIRTEEN

"No peeking." Oren said to the girl, leading them both up the balcony.

"You know I hate surprises." Carla said, trying really hard not to trip on anything. Even if she's a ballet dancer, her sense of direction sucks. 

"Oh I know." Oren laughed. 

"So tell me."

"Wait for it. Ok ready. 1 2 3." Oren took off the blindfolds and the girl's jaw dropped.

In front was this cute light up tent, with light candles and a picnic basket.

"What's this?" Carla smiled at the boy.

"Your surprise."

"I love it."

"I know you would."

"And I love you." Carla pulled him into a short, but passionate kiss.

"Oh I know that too. C'mon the food's getting cold."

They sat down on the blanket and Oren opened the picnic basket. "Ok we have some pasta salad, your favorite buffalo wings, ranch and carrot sticks. Basically all your favorites."

Carla smiled. She didn't remember the last time someone did something this thoughtful for her. And this night made her knew exactly what Shane meant when he said Oren loves her and would do anything for her.

"So this was what you were doing?"

Oren nodded. "Yup. I've realized we haven't been on a date in a while ever since what happened. It's the least I could do. Besides it wasn't all me. Josie helped."

Carla immediately frowned when she heard the girl's name. And all of a sudden she didn't want to be here. She didn't want to eat the food. Her insecurity came back. The icky feeling in her stomach came back. "Oh. You guys have gotten closer ever since she transferred here."

Oren shrugged, not recognizing the drop in his girlfriend's tone. "Yeah. We're partners now so I guess I have to get to know her if we want to get the leading role." Carla nodded, quietly eating her pasta salad as she continued to listen to her boyfriend talk about a girl she hated.

"So you guys know what you're doing?" Carla asked, not wanting to hear anymore of Josie's life that apparently she told her boyfriend. 

"Yup. We just gotta practice it and we should be good. Have you and Shane gotten anything?"

"Nope. Haven't really thought about it yet. Just been busy."

"Really? What happened to Carla Chalamet and her robot ways?"

Carla chuckled. "I just realized there's so much more to life than ballet. Why should I coupe myself up in a room where I could be outside, enjoying the scenery or having brunch with my friends."

Oren nodded. "Wow. I didn't know that."

Carla shrugged. "I guess we've just been busy."

"Yeah."

And with that the two were in deep thought about their relationship. The two didn't realize how much time they haven't spent together ever since the new term started. They were too caught up in their own world to even realize. Oren however, didn't think too much about it. He and Carla have always been inseparable no matter how many days, weeks, months they haven't talked. So why should this time be any different?

Carla on the other hand hated the feeling. She missed the old times with Oren. How it was so much simpler. How she didn't have to worry about another girl trying to steal her mans. 

She knew exactly who was at fault here. 

Josie fucking Hernandez.