Chapter 40

Chapter 40

I sat quietly for a few more minutes waiting for Bobby to come back into the room. Why didn't dad want me to say anything to Bobby I thought to myself. Trudy made small talk asking random questions about school. I was getting sleepy, and I yawned. The atmosphere in the small kitchen turned dark and gloomy even with the sunrise shining through the kitchen window over the sink. Bobby came back and sat at the table putting a large bag down off to the side. He smiled at his mom, and they started to talk. When he came back his mug was empty and was going to poor a second cup. His mom didn't stop him. I was wondering if the drug was just in my cup. Or did she poison the entire pot?

"Hey Penny, how have you and my mom been getting along?" Bobby asked me. I just gave him a shy smile and nodded my head. I was scared now my foot nervously tapped the floor. I was getting dizzy and jittery. What was going to happen to me? How long does it take for the poison to work? What does it cause to happen? Did she put enough in the cup to kill me; did I drink enough of it? God I was panicking. My mind was going a mile a minute. I couldn't keep calm any more. I could feel my panic rising in my chest my body was getting hot. I tugged on the neck of my sweater. Bobby looked over at me, he looked worried. My face felt flush, and I was sweating profusely.

"Penny, are you ok, why do I feel like you're worried and your heartbeat is going a mile a minute." He spoke. "Somethings not right I can feel you your panicking, what's going on, what did I miss?" he questioned.

'Bobby I'm scared. I don't feel so good." I said just to him my eyes pleading.

"Oh, I'm sure she's just fine." Trudy interjected. "Maybe she just nervous about going back to school." She said coolly not knowing I already answered him privately. My head whipped to look at his mom moving so fast making me dizzy. Bobby's face still wondering what was going on with me. Just then Dad came charging though the side door next to the kitchen. With a loud bang, the door bounced off the wall. David followed next to dad. He stood tall and intimidating. Behind David was another man I didn't recognized; he was older than dad, graying hair and partially bald. Wiry glasses sat on the tip of his nose. He had a white coat on, looked like a doctor. At the same time Dad pounded in Bobby jumped up putting a hand on me protectively trying to block me from whoever it was breaking in the door. It was like a protective reflex. I just sat there still reeling in my emotions of fear and anger and now panic and shock. Once he saw it was dad, he relaxed some but still didn't move from shielding me.

"What's going on?" Bobby yelled into the room.

"Move away from Penny now!" My dad used his alpha tone on him. Bobby had no choice but to move away, He did so reluctantly I could tell he was fighting the command wanting to be next to me. I just sat there quiet and sick. I didn't know what to do or say or how to react. So, I froze.

"Dr Panama see to Penny" Dad ordered. The Doctor came closer to me taking my pulse looking in my eyes and mouth. He asked which cup was mine. I pointed to the one in front of me and he took it and smelled it. He wrinkled his nose in disgust.

"Alpha Carter, there is a lethal amount of wolfbane in this cup. She drank most of it." The doctor told my dad. He poured the contents into a specimen container and placed the cup into an evidence bag.

I still just sat there in shock and not moving just looking around to each person in the small kitchen. Bobby's mouth hung open in disbelief. Trudy just sat their watching this unfold drinking her own cup.

"Wolfsbane? What wolfsbane I didn't taste any" Bobby said

"I'm guessing it was in a liquid concentrate and only in Penny's mug." The Doctor replied. My dad knowing what I already told him I had seen in Trudy's mind.

"Bobby did you know anything about this?' dad questioned him.

I began to cry. Could my mate be responsible for trying to poison me? Bobbies look of shock looked genuine. It looked like he didn't have a clue what was going on. I felt lightheaded and my head felt like it was floating away.

"Trudy you are under arrest for the attempted murder of the Alphas Daughter Penny Massy." David said and walked to Bobby's mom with silver hand cuffs. She was just sitting in her chair not moving sipping her own cup of coffee. Bobby looked at me and his mom back to my dad.

"What is going on here?" Bobby demanded.

"Your mother just tried to kill your mate by poisoning her?" My dad coldly replied. "Penny didn't feel comfortable around your mom, and she used her mind reading abilities to look into what she was thinking. She admitted to poisoning her with wolfbane." He continued. "Did you know about this?" He asked Bobby.

"No of course not, I would never hurt her, I have loved her ever since I felt the bond when you announced the twins to the pack." Bobby declared.

"Well, your mother doesn't feel the same way." Dad said. David handcuffed Trudy and walked her outside to one of the waiting SUVs. "Doctor Panama will Penny be, ok?" dad asked him.

"She might feel tired, her wolf might sleep most of the day and leave her vulnerable, but I think she should be fine. Any werewolf raised in our ways would have known about the poison and could have tasted it. But Penny would have no idea what it was. Bobby glass is clean, so he didn't taste anything. There is no smell to the herb there was no way he could smell it in her cup. Clearly she knew what she was doing." Doctor Panama said to everyone in the room.

"Do you think I would harm my own mate?" Bobby suggested.

"I had to be sure. I don't know your mothers' motives yet. Penny's safety is my utmost concern." Dad declared. Dad let Bobby come back over to my side. I hugged him deeply and held him tight. I knew threw the bond he wasn't lying. I also knew he felt terrible that his mother would try something like this. I suddenly felt like retching. I leaned forward and threw up all over the floor. Then things went a little dark and fuzzy.

*Alpha Carter*

After I released my hold on Bobby, he ran over to my daughter holding her. Suddenly she threw up all over the floor and passed out. Bobby caught her before she landed on the floor. He made eye contact with me, and his eyes flashed black. Bobby was pissed. He picked her up as fast as I had ordered the Doctor back to her side. Cradling her in his arms.

"Her pulse is weak." Doctor Panama said in a panic. "Quick we need to take her to the infirmary." He said. David dragged Trudy back to the SUV we came in and I jumped into Penny's Jeep, with the Doctor up front and Bobby holding my limp daughter in the back seat.

We rushed her to the infirmary which was in the pack house. Making the trip in less then five minutes, we rushed to the back of the house. The nurse had a gurney waiting for us. Bobby gently laid her down and we rushed her in. The Doctor ran about shouting orders to the other nurses telling them to gather items. One nurse started the IV, the Doctor took her vitals again. Once the IV was in place they rushed fluids to help dilute the poison in her blood. The Doctor then placed a tube down esophagus to her stomach pumping 400cc of activated charcoal.

There is no way to neutralize the poison the best way to help her was to absorb any left in the stomach and thin the amount in her blood with saline, then give her drugs to help keep her organs going until she can flush the rest out of her system. An overdose of wolfsbane will cause death, but it also puts the wolf to sleep. She had no way of healing herself during this time. We were left to modern medicine.

After the Doctor got her stabilized, he told Bobby to lay with her in bed, their mate bond can help her some. Any added help at this point was welcomed. She lay there still and not moving. Oxygen on her nose, tubes in her arms. The sounds of machines beeping it was all too much. My daughter was fighting for her life. I ran to the basement were David placed her in the silver cell. She was going to pay!