Chapter 9

Chapter 9

That glass of wine I downed last night had kicked in about half an hour after I drank it making me lightheaded. I had Jacob tell our mom that I was tired and could we continue the conversation later. I was sure everyone agreed with me. We had stayed up into the late hours gaining details about our existence. It was about 2am when I finally feel asleep. When I woke, I felt like I had a peaceful night's sleep, because not one nightmare reared its ugly head.

The sun was trying to come through my black out curtains, but it was unsuccessful. What was coming through was the feeling of warmth from the sun. It warmed my face as I lay on my pillows. I was still tired and contemplating getting up. I turned over and looked at the red lights flashing on my alarm clock, it was already noon. Wow I must have been tired, I have never slept in this late. I decided not to move, I was going to lay around in bed for a while and enjoy the warmth. I pulled my blanket closer around my face and curled up even more.

My room was still dark, and the only lights came from my alarm clock and the power button on my TV. The red lights from the alarm clock were giving a slight red glow to my dresser it was sitting on. For some reason the red glow had reminded me of something. Of what they told me; I was a werewolf. Had they told us the truth? Dad had said we could watch him change but mom jumped in and said 'no' and that it would probably scare us. She told us to wait until our birthdays.

Dad told us the transformation won't hurt much the first time. He said since we would be surrounded by family it would help. Apparently if you were a rogue, it was harder. Having a pack and a family bond would ease the transformation. After the first few shift it would come naturally, and we would welcome the changes.

Mom also said when pack members turned sixteen, they could mind link with anyone over sixteen that were members of the pack. I was amazed by this fact. Someone other than my brother would be able to talk to me. Mom also thought that because we were twins and werewolves it gave us the gift of our mind link early. That would explain how we have always communicated with each other.

After our first shift we will be introduced to the pack as mom and dad's children. Mom is going to explain to everyone that we are the blood heirs, and that we were stolen from our parents. Jacob will be the alpha when dad retires or dies in battle. I hope nothing happens to dad or mom, we just found them. Well technically we knew them for almost three years but just found out they were our real mom and dad.

We have a week to get to know them as our birth parents and not foster parents before we start our new school. Today is Sunday, so that gives me and Jacob seven days. Our birthday is the Friday after school starts. We finally found out we can't have a birthday party until later because we won't be able to control ourselves on our first shift. Mom and dad said it was necessary to have us locked in a room of our own. Then once we changed and have control, we will go for a run in the forest with mom and dad. The run was like a right of passage as a new wolf.

Mom said the pack started using controlled shifting rooms because too many of the first timers destroyed homes and furniture and even killed a few farm animals in the process. I guess young wolves get hungry and tend to be wild animals. Young wolves have a hard time controlling themselves within the first few days, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes a no brainier. Honestly, I'm worried. What was it going to be like? I guess I just have to wait and see.

I thought I had been daydreaming for a while, but as I gazed over at my clock, I only managed to kill fifteen minutes. I sighed to myself, today was going to be a long day. I think I need a shower. I never took one last night I was just too tired. I did not even change out of my clothes. Ugg, I feel even more nasty now.

I flipped off my blanket and rolled out of bed. When my feet hit the floor, I noticed my shoes were still on. Wow I really was tired. I have never gone to bed and not taken my shoes off or at least dressed in bed clothes. I dragged myself to my bathroom, turning on the lights nearly blinded myself. I need to remember to let my eyes adjust before I do that again. After my eyes adjusted, I turned on my shower to get the water warmed up.

I looked in my mirror and noticed my hair. It looked different. Still brown, and long but it was shiny. My hair has never been shiny it has always been dull looking. I didn't use anything different on it, just the same products mom has always bought me. And after skipping my shower last night it should be oily and it's not. Well, that's just strange. I couldn't understand why I looked different.

I decided to get in the shower and look at myself later. Maybe it's just because the products are finally working. The hot shower was very relaxing, it was just what I needed to wake up. I must have been in there for an hour. When I did get out, it was because the water had run cold. Wrapping myself up in a fluffy towel I decided to put on one of my new outfits we got yesterday. I choose the black skinny jeans and matching black long sleeve shirt and of course the under clothes were black as well. Lacey black that is. I was calling my look the "the bro style". It's named after my brother of course. He is after all famous for his dark look.

I went down for breakfast. Well, I guess it's not breakfast, more like early dinner. It was nearly 4pm. Wow I was in the shower for a long time. I waved over at mom sitting at the table. She was eating left over Chinese. Yea I'm going to skip the leftovers. That's nasty, left-over Chinese food yuck. I made myself a bowl of cereal instead, lucky charms to be exact. Yea I know it's a kid's cereal, but hey its yummy.

Mom was watching me, when she spoke up, she said "Sweetheart, did you do something to your hair, its beautiful". I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head no. "Did you know that all werewolves are beautiful, I mean unless you really just totally give up on life. Then you end up fat and older looking, we tend to just be naturally attractive. Well maybe your hair looks healthier now because your almost sixteen. The rest of you is just gorgeous, I bet you won't change much, other than your hair." Mom was rambling. "When I was a young girl, my hair was light brown and when I turned sixteen it lightened up more to an almost blond shade that was silky and naturally highlighted".

Moms' hair was beautiful. I had no idea I might look different after I changed; I hope not too different. So not only transforming into a wolf at 16 other things like my appearance can change as well, interesting! I never did notice the similarities we shared. We both have long hair, and her eyes were a darker shade of green, mine and Jacobs were light clear green, like looking through green glass. Her eyes were like dark emeralds. We both were tall and had athletic bodies. Oh, and we did share the same bra size. I bet we even have the same clothing size as well.

I wonder where Jacob is. I have not heard from him since last night. I called out to him in my mind,

"Jacob, hey are you alright? I have not seen you in a while"?

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm in my room playing on my computer. What do you want"? Wow he was being short with me.

"I'm sorry I just wanted to talk to you". I was saddened by him now.

"Well, I'm fine I will talk to you later". He cut me out, since when did he learn to block me. That's not cool. Who am I going to talk to now? Well, I guess I can just pen and paper it with mom. Maybe get some more information from her about werewolves.