Chapter 4

Ainsley

"No pigtails today, Pippy?" Billy asks Willow teasingly, tugging gently on a lock of her hair. Willow pops her hip out and puts her hand on it, her favorite stance of sass.

"I don't wear pigtails everyday." She says firmly and Billy chuckles at her, handing her a donut.

"Well, I like the pigtails." He says shrugging. I laugh quietly at the interaction and get to work setting things up.

It goes much faster than usual. It's helpful having someone there to help move around desks. He doesn't even need a ladder to hang things. He keeps Willow entertained, playing with some of the instruments while I organize papers and get things ready for my first day. I'm a little nervous for this year. It will be the first time I have Willow in my class and I will need to make sure I don't show any favoritism.

We finish up shortly after lunch time and head out of the school. Billy bumps into me gently to get my attention and my body lights up at the casual contact. I take in a sharp breath and try to keep myself from doing something embarrassing.

Like moaning.

"You want to follow me to Jax and Emily's?" He asks, tucking my hair behind my ear. My skin tingles at the contact and I'm rendered temporarily speechless. I nod and he smiles at me, opening the door for Willow. I watch as he buckles her in, making sure the straps on her car seat are tight. My heart clenches at the sight of him trying to keep her safe. I feel myself soften towards him, willing him to be the kind of man that I think he is. He opens my door for me and I thank him quietly, slipping in and waiting for him to get in his car so I can follow behind.

"He's nice." Willow says from the backseat as she looks out the window.

"He is. Are you excited to see Ellie?" I ask and she nods with a wide smile.

"Yes!" She squeals and I giggle as I drive, following Billy to a sweet little residential area. He pulls up in front of a light blue house with white shutters that looks perfect for a little family.

Billy hops out of his car quicky and is opening my door for me before I even have my seatbelt unbuckled. He unclicks Willow from her chair and swings her out of the car, throwing her in the air and catching her as her peals of laughter ring out. I'm stunned at the sight, I haven't been able to do that for over a year. She's way too heavy for me.

"You ready?" Billy asks, grabbing a cooler from his backseat. I nod at his question and eye the cooler.

"What's that?" I ask and he gets a cute little blush on his face.

"The only thing I know how to make. Seven layer dip." He says with a shy smile, carrying a bag of tortilla chips as well. I chuckle at him and grab Willow's hand, nerves roiling through me at meeting all of these new people. Billy must sense this because he nudges my shoulder gently with his.

"Everyone's really nice." He says quietly, pushing the front door open and walking in.

"You don't knock?" I ask and he shrugs.

"No one knocks. We're family." He says easily and I smile at the thought. How nice it would be to have a family like that. I follow him out to the backyard and hear an excited squeal. Ellie comes bounding towards us and flings her little arms around Willow.

"Willow! You're here! Come play!" She says, grabbing Willow's hand and pulling her away. Willow gives me a nervous glance and I give her a reassuring smile.

We'll get through this together, girl.

"Hey, Ems." Billy says to a kind looking woman who looks about the same age as me. She gives him a peck on the cheek and takes the food he brought. "This is Ainsley. Ainsley this is Emily, Ellie's mom."