Chapter 22

Belle's POV

Henry places down the empty glass on the table in front of us, then rubs his mouth.

I continue to slurp through my straw as I watch him stretch and yawn.

"Come on, Henry. We're both tired, we need some sleep." I say as I put my half-empty glass on the table with his.

"You're not even finished." He whines, rubbing his eyes.

"I know, but I am tired and so are you, plus Grannies'll be closing shortly." I reply, smiling, before taking the two glasses to the bar.

Henry jumps from the seat and onto his feet as he follows me out of the door. When the door opens, an icy wind takes hold of Henry and I, making goosebumps crawl up us like insects. The moonlight shines down on us as we fold our arms and pace down the road, hoping to just get back quickly.

"Do you hear that?" Henry asks, his voice trembling. I look at him, and he looks at me. His eyes full of fear, his skin almost white from the cold and his lip shaking.

"Hear what?" I ask, putting an arm around him as an attempt to keep him warm.

I don't listen to what he has to say, when I hear something myself. A faint stomping sound, as though there's footsteps. They get louder and we walk quicker. We're being followed.

I grab Henry and throw him behind me. I turn around, keeping him hidden and look around. The road is almost pitch black, the streetlights are dim and the silver moonlight reflects on the damp ground. When all is clear, a silhouette appears from the gloomy night.

It walks with a limp, a very slight one and it gets closer. I stay where I am, holding onto Henry tighter.

"What are we still doing here?" He asks, tightening his grip on my arm.

"I think I know this man," I whisper. "He has a lot to explain."

The silhouette reaches about three meters when I get a better look. The man is familiar, his clothing, is the same as I expected. It's him.

"What do you want?" I shout as my breath steams through the icy air.

He doesn't reply just walks closer, till we've got the gap of  a basket ball between us.

"Hello... Belle." He smiles a wicked, cruel smile. 

"What do you want?" I repeat myself, growling this time over. 

"What do want?" He asks. "I want revenge." He laughs almost hysterically, spitting in my face with his evil-ridden voice.

As I go to speak, he stops laughing and stands up straight, getting closer to me and putting his face to mine. His scar, so deep, so close. I stare at it as he watches me. 

Then he takes a step back and smiles again. Confusion floods my mind. What the hell are you doing? I want to ask, but before I can do anything, his fist pounds into my chest, I push Henry out of the way and he runs to a street light.

As I fall to the ground in pain, I watch him stand over me, taking the knife out of his pocket. Probably the one he tried to kill me with earlier. Only difference is, there's no Rumple this time.

I kick my leg up and forcfully push my foot into his crotchal area. He winces and puts his hands over it for a while, before getting the strength to fight me.

His fist flies out to my face, but I dodge it, as I do a few others. Some I don't miss, and I'm left with cuts and bruises. I throw a couple of punchs in myself, most miss, but again some don't.