Chapter VIII: Family

William

: November 30, 2019, Flashback

It was a cold, sky blue weather. December was about to start and the place was peaceful as ever.

"Goddamn its morning already?" I whined as I stopped the alarm from ringing like there was a fire that was occurring at 8:30am sharp. "Hmm smells good, gotta head down mom's probably cooking something good by now."

I went down and found the scent even more delightful than how it was from upstairs, turns out it wasn't mom who's cooking but my dad. Surprised to see him around when he's always out solving cases; rarely comes home too.

"D-D-D-DA-DAD?! WHAT!" I exclaimed.

"Hey son! How's your sleep? Still annoyed by that alarm clock I gave you?" He laughed.

"I was almost thinking of throwing it away after hearing it month after month; though, it does help me wake up early. Anyway, old man how come you're home at this month? Aren't you planning to be promoted to be a first-rate detective, right?" I asked.

He hit me with a wooden spoon on the head. "Boy you sure still cocky about how you address me eh?" He laughed. "You sure get in my nerves so bad."

"Jeez old man can't you take a joke?" I chuckled.

He sighed. "So this is what I get for giving my genes to your mom?" He laughed afterwards. "So, about that promotion... I still need six more months to actually become a first-rate detective, until then... since it's my rest day; I'll stay here for a while."

"Why'd you even ask old man? Of course you can stay, it's our house after all." I said.

"A cheeky brat like you might even be like those kids that fool around."

"You know I'm not that friendly, I don't have much friends except those who are just with me for being too much friendly." I replied.

"Don't be a sad sack in the sandbox son, you always have me to hang around. Or you're bored of your old man already?" He asked.

"Yes... I MEAN NO! OF COURSE I'M NOT BORED OF YOU!" I exclaimed.

"Attaboy! C'mere son!"

"OH NO NO NO!!!"

We ended up roughhousing until my mom came home.

"You guys look suspicious..." She said.

"Noooooo...." We replied as we looked each other in the eye.

"Alright spit it out, who put the meatloaf in the trashcan?" She asked.

"L-Long story short, I placed the meatloaf on the table without knowing that there would be flies all around it in just ten minutes." The old man explained.

"And where were you for ten minutes?" She asked again.

"Beats me; I was sleeping." I shivered.

"Rozan?" 

"I-I was still cooking y-you see." He also shivered.

She sighed." What a waste, let's just eat what your dad cooked. BUT!" She gave us a beating and we both said sorry afterwards.

"Oi! Where are you going at this time of day?" He asked.

"Buying a hot cup of soup, why?" I replied.

"You just ate." He said. "So I can eat it for later." I replied.

"Also so that I can buy what I want."