Right By My Side

Onika's P

Onika's P.O.V.

I have to admit...I was wild as hell in high school! I was always into something and constantly doing things I had no damn business doing. Like the one time I decided to hop up on the table in the school's cafeteria to perform a rap by Foxy Brown! I was always the life of the party. And my best friend, was not!

"Onika Tanya Maraj! Get down from there! You're going to end up in detention AGAIN", my bestie Beyonce Knowles exclaimed.

"Oh loosen up, Bey! Why you gotta trip, ma?!", I asked as I sat down next to her.

"You could've hurt yourself", she said. 

"Bey! You're 15 years old! You gotta stop being such a mom", I told her.

"I'm not being a mom", she said right before she wiped crumbs off of my shirt! She also reminded me not to drink so much Cherry Coke because in her opinion, the caffeine in it made me too hyper. She was such a mommy! Only with me though.

The year was 1998! Beyonce and I were both 15 years old. Though we were Sophomores in high school, the two of us actually became best friends in middle school when we were 12. Since the first day we met, she's always been right by my side!

"Yo! Beyonce...there's that girl I told you I like! She's mad fly", I said.

"Onika...she's a Senior and way too advanced for you! She's probably going to want you to have sex with her", Beyonce said.

"You promise?!", I asked sarcastically. Because that's exactly what I wanted to go down! I was a lesbian and I was ready to have hot, lesbian sex! And since I knew the girl I was crushing on liked girls too, I figured she would be the perfect candidate to make a woman out of me!

"Onika, you can't be out here having sex! What if you get pregnant?!", Beyonce foolishly asked. I couldn't help but laugh!

"Bey! You know damn well two pussies rubbing together can't produce a baby", I reminded her.

"Well...you have to consider STDs, too! There's no cure for Aids! And look at her...she's kissing all over that girl! Obviously she gets around", Bey mentioned.

It broke my heart to see my crush kissing someone else. I tried to hide my disappointment. But Beyonce knew me better than anyone else. She knew I was in my feelings without me having to say a word.

"She ain't all that, Onika...You deserve better. Anyway, it's Friday! Do you want to come spend the night at my house?", she asked.

I nodded my head. Even though I was crushed, I loved spending the night with Beyonce. Her mother would always get us a bunch of junk food and her dad always rented us movies from Blockbuster! Plus we would watch music videos on BET and MTV and pretend to be our favorite singers or rappers.

I would be Brandy and she would be Monica! Or I would be Foxy Brown and she would be Lil' Kim! And if we wanted to be TLC, she would be T-Boz, I would be Left Eye and we would make her 10 year old sister, Solange, be Chilli. Those were good times!