Pretty Hurts

Beyonce's P

Beyonce's P.O.V.

This might sound strange, but when I was a teenager I HATED being pretty! I hated being forced to participate in dumb beauty pageants! My mother had been making me be involved with that bullshit since I was 6 years old! So by the time I was 16, I  was beyond over it!

I'll never forget this one time she made me do a pageant on my 16th birthday! Instead of giving me a Sweet 16 birthday party with cake, ice cream, chips, pizza, hot dogs, music and other kids my age, she had me doing that crap! I was infuriated!

"Beyonce, smile! Why are you acting this way?!", she asked while trying to put Vaseline on my teeth so they would shine.

"Because it's my 16th birthday and I want to have fun! I'm tired of doing this! I just want cake at least", I said.

"Beyonce! Cake is not a part of your diet! You don't want to be fat! Especially since you're becoming a woman. No young man wants a fat girl", she said. 

I was never allowed to eat junk food. And when I did, I was always yelled at for it! I had this friend named Onika Maraj. I would love to go to her house and pig out! Onika would also bring certain things to school for me to snack. Like Doritos, Twinkies, Honey Buns, you know, anything that was bad for my health and would make me "fat". I fucking loved her for that!

Well, my mother noticed I was beginning to gain weight. She asked me if I was eating things that weren't a part of my diet. Of course I lied and said no! Not only did I not want to get in trouble, but I didn't want to get Onika in trouble either. But my mother said she wasn't going to allow me to go to Onika's house anymore because she figured it must be her that's giving me junk food.

On top of all that, she even went as far as taking me out of the school I was going to so that I wouldn't even be around Onika! She never liked her anyway. She said she wasn't ladylike. But to me, Onika was feminine enough! Just because she had an aggressive side and wasn't into girly bullshit like pageants doesn't mean she wasn't "ladylike"!

After momma finished doing my hair and makeup, she gave me this pretty, but uncomfortable dress to put on along with a pair of heels that hurt my feet! Then she said, "Let's take some pictures for your modeling portfolio!"