You're Mine

Beyonce's P

Beyonce's P.O.V.

My mother loves showing people my baby pictures. She often talks about how beautiful her baby's eyes were. She tells me my eyes are still beautiful. So beautiful that they glow...I just wish I could see them for myself.

Due to being born very prematurely, I lost my sight when I was only 8 weeks old. My parents were devastated. Especially my mother. However, her mother encouraged her to always make me feel normal. To never make me feel like something is wrong with me. To never feel sorry for me because that would only teach me to feel sorry for myself! And well, she obeyed my grandmother's advice.

I grew up not feeling sorry for myself. Though I did and still do have my moments when I wish I could see, I still don't let my blindness get me down! I thank God for other things he's blessed me with. Like having the ability to hear, touch, smell, and taste. I love being able to hear music specifically. It's the most beautiful sound on earth!

Though I am blind, I've always been involved in a lot of activities like singing in talent shows and acting in stage plays for school and church. I also know how to play the drums, piano and bass guitar. My daddy says I'm a musical genius like Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles. He wants to help me get into the music industry. But my mother is so afraid. I'm 16, but she'll always see me as her little baby...

I also go to a normal high school! My mother made me go to a school for the blind up until I was 12 years old. But once my friends Kelly and Michelle moved in next door, I talked my mother into letting me go to the same middle school as them for my 8th grade year. Kelly and Michelle are cousins and they're my closest friends! Kelly's mom passed away, so Michelle's parents have been raising her.

One particular Friday afternoon while we sat in the lunchroom of our school, I heard Michelle say, "Oh, God....there she is. She's so mean!"

"Just mean and rude! Then wonders why nobody wants to be friends with her! Maybe if she would change her nasty ass attitude she'll have some homegirls", Kelly said.

"Wait...who are we talking about?", I asked them.

"Onika Maraj! She went to our middle school and she was even mean back then! She used to always walk around mean mugging everybody. She was so stuck up! A lot of people were glad she didn't come to this high school. But here her ass is now for whatever reason", Kelly said.

I didn't remember Onika from middle school. But Kelly explained that Onika wasn't in our class but people still talked about how mean she was. So they not only stayed out of her way, but they also kept me out of her way.

As the ladies and I continued to talk, one of the guys from our basketball team, Christopher Brown, approached us. He said hello and told me he didn't want his slice of chocolate cake. And that I could have it if I wanted it. He knew that I loved chocolate!

"That's very sweet of you, Chris! I think I will save it for later. Thank you", I told him. I felt him take my hand. He put my finger to his cheek so that I could feel that he was smiling. Michelle told me that he, like myself, has a dimple in one of his cheeks. So when I feel the dimple that means he's smiling.