Save Me...

Onika's P

Onika's P.O.V.

I laid on my Aunt Toni's couch and pouted. She sat by my feet and said, "Onika...Auntie needs you to be ok with me leaving. Your grandma isn't doing too good and I need to rush to her immediately. I'm leaving you in good hands, pooh...I'll be back before you know it."

I didn't say anything back to her. I never do...I never say anything to anyone. I've been mute ever since I came home from school at the age of 11 and found both my parents dead...They had been murdered! And that's why I've been living with my Aunt Toni, my mother's sister, ever since that day.

They had been murdered! And that's why I've been living with my Aunt Toni, my mother's sister, ever since that day

(Toni, Onika's Aunt)

Aunt Toni had received a call from a close friend of the family saying that my grandmother was terribly ill and they may have to put her in hospice. After Aunt Toni sobbed terribly, I heard her say she'll fly out to Philadelphia immediately. Which is where my grandmother was living.

Although I was 26, my aunt couldn't leave me by myself for a whole month. I was not mentally together due to seeing my parents like that. I was mute, I didn't make eye contact with people, I suffered from depression, I had fits of rage that would come out of nowhere sometimes because I didn't know how to express my emotions and I would have nightmares that left me unable to sleep alone most nights.

So how did Aunt Toni expect me to be ok with her leaving? For a whole damn month! She was all I had. Especially since her and my uncle got a divorce a few years back. It's just been she and I against the world...

"Onika...you know Ms. Tina...the nice lady that does your hair for me and gives you candy all the time? Her daughter, Beyonce, is going to stay with you until I get back. She'll be here in a few minutes. She's really nice and she's going to take good care of you.

I didn't want Ms. Tina's daughter to take care of me! I wanted Aunt Toni! I wished my grandmother lived in Miami with us so Aunt Toni wouldn't have to leave me...

The doorbell rang and I jumped up off of the couch. I ran into the kitchen and grabbed some cookies. I usually always ran away when Aunt Toni had guests.