chapter twenty eight

sapnap's point of view

When Dream had returned from his appointment at Dr. Hartfield's practice a few days ago, he had appeared relieved, almost detached.

It made me happy that the whole therapy thing made him feel better and it reassured me that I had made the right decision.

But what if he just learned to fake it properly?

No. I wouldn't just ruin my day by overthinking this situation. Clay was getting better and I couldn't be happier about it.

I slowly got up from my bed after having sent a message to Karl.
We had been in contact more often recently and I enjoyed his company. Multiple times, I had been thinking about telling him what happened here in Florida, but I didn't want to disturb Clay's privacy.

Furthermore, he had trusted me and I wouldn't disappoint him by showing him I couldn't keep a secret.

Ignoring all my doubts and bad thoughts, I ran into George who had his phone in his hand, scrolling through a website I couldn't quite catch. "Sorry" he mumbled and stepped aside, still not taking his glance off of his phone.

"What are you doing?" I asked, not able to hide my curiosity any longer. It took him a few seconds to realize that I had talked to him but when he did, he simply shrugged.

"Nothing", he claimed. I didn't know what he thought I would think after such a stupid answer, but it was clear that he didn't want to talk about it, so I let him be.

Instead, I got twirled up in my own thoughts again.

The past nights had been calm, currently holding a high score of three days in a row without any interruptions.

He could also just not show it, Nick.

That was true.

My steps had lead me into the kitchen, where I unconsciously started to prepare a meal, just to have something to do.
And, of course, to bring Clay some of it. Maybe today was a lucky day and he would take one or two bites?

To make it easier for him, I decided to cook a low carb dish with many vegetables. They contained the most important nutrients and vitamins he needed and even if he just ate a quarter of what he actually should, he would at least get some energy.

After having cut several different veggies, I started to bake some tortillas, so that I could turn them into taco shells later.

The dough was quick to make and I cut it into more or less round circles before I eventually put the finished tortillas into the oven.

While they baked, I washed some salad and took out a pan, in which I quickly fried some turkey breast. It was the most "healthy" and least greasy meat, so maybe Clay would be able to get some of it down. If not, I had prepared some beans, because they also had the important irons humans needed.

With a critical gaze, I looked at all the different ingredients I had prepared. I wasn't sure if Clay would eat anything, no matter how healthy it actually was.
What could I do to convince him?

Before I found a solution, the oven clock rang, letting me know I should take out the tortillas.

For obvious reasons, I decided that everyone should prepare their own taco. When I had carried everything to the kitchen table, I yelled Clay's and George's names so that they would come into the kitchen to eat.