Us, we don't work.

//And then she realised,
It wasn't him she was,
In love with anymore,
But the hope for,
What could've been,
Or almost was...
-Author//

Mason's branded car is on the motorway, on the hardshoulder, right near a curve.
"There." You point, your heart banging.

If he's on the hardshoulder then surely something had happened to him?

Is he ok?

In a blink of an eye, Denisa's ringtone goes off and she picks the phone, muttering coming out from the other end.

"Oh sh*t! I have to go home like now! Could you- sorry but could you go home with Mason?" She explains, giving you an apologetic look.

It was kind enough that she managed to take you here in the first place.

"Yeah um- ok." You lie, no way was Mason going to drop you home after he declared his hatred to you.

But Denisa had done so much for you, you couldn't let her down by refusing.

And at the the same time, you couldn't go with her-

Because of Mason.

You climb out the car, as her car drifts off, and sprint over to the driver window of Mason's car.

As you peak through the window, you spot him sighing, his head rests on the wheel.

Your heart aches, seeing him like this, seeing him hurt.

When you knock, he abruptly wakes up, looking around then meeting your face.

Tears sting your eyes, seeing Mason like this, heartbroken, pained, exhausted.

And it was you.

All you.

"Y/n..." he mouths, shocked, his mouth slightly gawped open.

You manage a smile through tears and tug at his car door, it's locked.

"Open the door Mason!." You exclaim, tears now strolling down your face.

Surprised, he unlocks the door and climbs out of the car, standing less than an inch away from you.

"I don't hate you Mason, I love you. I know I said I didn't- but I do, I really do, I've just ended things with Tom because-"

Because you're The One Mason, you are,
And you don't understand how badly I want you to understand that.

Mason gulps looking the other way, his eyes slightly red and watery.

Was he crying?

Really crying?

He shakes his head no, slowly.

"This...us...we aren't going to work. Because everytime I love you, you don't have the same feelings. I'm sick of this empty feeling, being full up and then emptied again. It's exhausting Y/n." He explains, each word engraved on your chest, piercing through your blood.
"It's exhausting..." he repeats, letting out a short sigh at the end.

"No no Mason, don't say that, we, us, we can make it work- I. I don't know how but I-"

Mason clashes his lips onto yours, and you respond back, holding him close to you, wrapping your hands around his neck.

After about 10 seconds Mason pulls away, pools of water resting in his eye.
"Maybe another time Y/n..." he whispers, removing your hand from his neck, making it fall to your sides.