CHAPTER 27

Nabarun lead me to our bedroom and helped me to wear a groom's attire, then he wore a similar one. I remember that evening when he went to marry my sister. I asked, "where is the dress you wore when you married my sister?"

"All that stuff is kept in the store room upstairs. Why are you asking? Is it still bothering you?"

"No, it's not that. That day I was jealous, I thought my handsome prince could never be mine. You were looking so breathtakingly handsome and I was hating it. But today, you are looking more handsome and I know you are only mine."

"Yes, I am. And I will always be yours. And if you like me in this dress I will wear this for you frequently."

"You are equally handsome even without any dress. Now, let's go." After saying that I started walking towards the door.

Nabarun was stunned for a moment, then he pulled me by my hand. "I told you not to seduce me, but you did it." He kissed me for some time and then released me. "Everyone is waiting for us, but I will not spare you at night."

When the blessing ceremony started, Nabarun's father gave both of us similar gold chains and couple rings. He blessed us for our life long togetherness. We exchanged rings in presence of our family, Debesh also joined via video call.

His uncle gave us a pair of wrist watches. His aunt came forward with Nabarupa. She blessed us and gave some jewelry boxes in Nabarun's hand. Then she took out a traditional chandrahaar and placed it on my neck. I was surprised and ask, "what are you giving me kakima?"

"This is our family's traditional Chandrahaar, from today it is yours."

"But I am a man, I can't wear this."

My mother became angry, "are you treating him like a girl? Do you want to humiliate him?"

"Calm down Mrs. Bose. No one is insulting your son." Nabarun's father said, "This set of jewelry is going through generation to generation in our family. The first daughter in law of any generation gets it. My mother gave it to my wife and she was eager to give it to Nabarun's wife. She is no more and Nabarun choose a man. But it is a blessing from her and from the previous generations. Nishith, you don't need to wear this in future, but from now on you are the owner of this. And you should pass it to the next generation."

Aunt added, "not everyone can have this or wear this. I kept this for so many years but never dare to wear this. Not even Nabarupa or Shriparna can get this. It is only for you. The other jewelries of your mother in law are divided in three parts. You get one part, Nabarupa and Shrirupa will get their shares. "

"But I can't give your family any heir, whom should I pass it?"

Uncle said, "time is changing, so the traditions. You get it according to your mother-in-law's wish but you can decide whom to pass it on. You have plenty of time to decide it."

"But you should have informed us about this beforehand," my father said, "we did not come prepared for this."

I felt my father's helplessness, they cannot afford these type of things all of a sudden.

"But you have already blessed me as your son-in-law." Nabarun said, "when you blessed me, I had only Nishith in my mind. I am still wearing the gold chain grandma put on my neck that day." He pulled out the chain to show. "And I want to return the ring you gave me."

"No need to return that ring. Nishith himself bought that for you, with his own money."

"Baba just bless us, I don't want anything more. You and maa both have done many things for me and I never planned to hurt you. But my heart belongs only to him, I can't live without him."

"Mr. Bose, It is not any show of wealth, we gave them what we have, you give what you have. Even an one rupee coin will be precious to them," Nabarun's father said.

My parents blessed both of us with one thousand one hundred one rupee.

Elders blessed us and everyone wished for our togetherness. No, we did not kiss in front of everyone, we would do that at night, behind the closed door.