CHAPTER 26

Three years later:

I had been in Nabarun's parental home with him for one week for the preparation of Nabarupas's marriage. She was going to marry Debesh the next day. The twin siblings had lost their mother long ago, so their aunt took the responsibility of the mother from the very beginning. That wedding ceremony was no different. Nabarun, Nabarupa, as well as I were doing everything according to her and her husband's (Nabarun's paternal uncle) instructions. Uncle and aunt accepted me as their family member. Kakima (aunt) even welcomed me properly with barandala, just like a mother-in-law welcomes her son-in-law or daughter-in-law when they first time come home.

Nabarun had been visiting his relatives' houses to invite them with his uncle and I had been accompanying Nabarupa everywhere she went. Her teenage cousin sister sometime went with us.

I was living with him for the previous one year in Delhi, where he was doing his Post-Doctoral research and I got a transfer and promotion in my job. He was making breakfast for us every morning before waking me up with kisses and doing every other housework with me. He was always treating me like a prince and I realized that he was the actual prince after I came to his paternal home. I only knew that his father was a professor and his uncle was a doctor. I had no idea that they lived in a palace, and had acres and acres of farmlands. I was shocked to know that the heir of that huge property was cooking my meal, cleaning my dishes, and moping my house (not my, our house). There were more than a dozen men and women working full time in the house and outside.

Nabarun's father introduced me to them and said, "he is Nishith, treat him as you treat Nabarun."

After he left, Nabarun said, "do you understand? Treat him like you treat me, call him by his name. No need to pamper him, I am enough to do that."

They agreed and left. I was furious and shouted, "you cheated me!"

Nabarun and Nabarupa asked together, "who?"

"You both. You never felt the need to say me that you are this rich!"

"I am not rich," Nabarupa said.

"Neither I." Nabarun said, "Our father and uncle are rich, not us. If you don't like this, I will never force you to come here again."

"I did not mean that, but I did not expect this." I lowered my voice.

Nabarupa was not going to live with her in laws for long as she got only leave for three weeks from her job. Debesh's father requested to Nabarun's father to not to send any furniture to their house. So only jewelries and clothes will go with her and she will get money to buy the things as per her need.

Everything was almost ready and I was checking the pandal. I had not seen Nabarun for some time, he must be busy in other things. I heard the sound of a car and went towards the main gate. I saw my parents and Pratyusha were coming with Nabarun. I ran to them and kneeled in front of my parents, then touched their feet. My father pulled me up and hugged. My eyes became wet and my mother started crying. Nabarun took everyone inside and they sat in the drawing room. I noticed there was a man beside Pratyusha.

I pulled Nabarun to a corner and asked, "what's going on?"

"Baby, it is not cheating, it is just a surprise. Two days ago I went to your patents' home and invited them to come here. They were badly missing you and have come here to meet you."

"Is that Rakesh? Pratyusha's boyfriend? He is handsome."

Pratyusha mentioned about him over telephone. He is a professor in the same university where Pratyusha is doing her PhD.

"He is your real brother-in-law. Don't look at him. You are not allowed to do anything like what you were doing with your fake brother-in-law."

"I never did anything at all."

"Yes, you had not done anything else, you just seduced me."

"I seduced you?"

"Yes. And you are seducing me now too. Let's go there otherwise things will go out of my control."

We went back to the drawing room. Everyone was already present there, even the house helpers were also there. Snacks and tea were served and they were discussing something. Pratyusha looked at me and smiled meaningfully.

My father said, "Nishith, come here, I have something to ask you."

I walked few steps and stood behind Nabarun's father who was sitting just opposite to my parents. Then said, "Yes, baba."

"Are you happy with him?"

"Yes, I am happy. But I would be happiest if you accept and bless us."

"Will you not regret it in future?"

"I will not."

"Think carefully, you may have to face many hardships for your choice. Then you may regret it."

"Baba, he is not my choice, he is the most important part of my life. No one knows about the future, but I will regret every moment of my present life if I leave him."

"Do you like him because he has money?" my mother asked. "You are earning well too."

"I only came to know about uncle's money one week ago. It has nothing to do with my love. And there is a thing that only Nabarun knows, I was dreaming about him for more than a year before I meet him. He is destined for me, he is mine."

Nabarun held my hand and smiled proudly. Rakesh got up and came to us. He said, "it is astonishing, maybe you are lovers from your previous life. Nabarunda, how did you know that he is the one for you?"

Nabarun said, "I fell in love with him at first sight. As the time passed I realized that my life is meaningless without him."

"But you can't marry each other," my father said.

"Yes, I know. But I can spend my life happily with him if you bless us," I said.

"Then we should hold a ring ceremony for you," my father said.

"Ring ceremony?"

"Yes, Nabarupa's wedding is tomorrow, I want to hold a blessing ceremony for you before that. I want to bless you as my son-in-law, if you agree." Nabarun's father said that looking at me.

"I have no objection baba." For the first time I called him baba and he was happy. Nabarun was calling my parents as baba-maa ever since he married my sister and he never changed the address.