CHAPTER 19

To my surprise Pratyusha was not at all interested in the decorations and menu. She was even indifferent about the jewelries and clothes. But she already packed all her books and study materials as if she was going to university hostel. And whenever she got any free time she was on her phone.

My father had no siblings but he had cousins. All those uncles and aunts came with their children. People from my mother's side also came.

On the wedding evening, Nabarun came with his father and few relatives. He was looking like a handsome prince and I was mesmerized to see him. After the welcoming rituals ended he started looking here and there, probably he was looking for someone.

One of my uncle said to me, "isn't he your friend? He is really handsome. Why are you not going to meet him? Go ask him if he needs anything."

It was difficult for me to see him in groom's dress but I faked a smile and went towards him. As he saw me, he smiled brightly. That smile was very similar to that smile which he donned when he received me last year at the airport.

WHAT DOES HE WANT? HE MUST BE GENUINELY HAPPY.

"How are you, Nishith?" Nabarun's father asked me.

"I am fine uncle. How are you?" I smiled towards him and touched his feet. That was my first meeting with him. I saw his photo before, but I had no idea about how he recognized me.

"I am happy to see you, welcome to our family." He hugged me and patted my back. "Be successful in life and then live a happy life with your loved one."

MY LOVED ONE? HE IS GOING TO BE SOMEONE ELSE'S TONIGHT.

"Thank you uncle," I said in bewilderment.

Uncle looked at Nabarun and said, "he is really a fine gentleman. You have a good eye."

"Thank you baba. All credits go to you."

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? I AM NOT THE BRIDE. DON'T TREAT ME LIKE THIS.

"Uncle, do you want to meet my sister?"

"Of course, take me there."

I led him to the room, where my sister was sitting and accepting gifts.

On the way uncle said, "you should come to meet me when you get time."

"I will surely try. But, uncle, why is Nabarupa not present?"

SHE WAS SO EXCITED THAT DAY. NABARUN IS HER TWIN BROTHER, SHE SHOULD HAVE MANAGE TO COME FOR HIS WEDDING.

"She got some urgent project which is more important than this. But I am sure that she will come for the actual important event, when you will start your new life."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN UNCLE? MY MARRIAGE IS MORE IMPORTANT TO HER THAN HER OWN TWIN'S MARRIAGE? OR, DOES SHE NOT LIKE MY SISTER? WILL NABARUN'S FAMILY TREAT PRATYUSHA WELL? WHAT IS ACTUALLY GOING ON?

*****

After the marriage and dinner, bride and groom were taken to a specified room (bridal chamber or baasar ghar). Our cousins and Nabarun's cousins were all there but I dared not to go there. They all were having fun, talking, singing and laughing. I was unable to be happy and made myself busy in other stuff. It was almost dawn when Pratyusha called me. As I received the call she said, "where are you, dada? Why didn't you come here. We will leave soon. Come as early as possible." I went to meet her. There were no one other than the bride and groom in that bridal chamber and the windows were closed.

IS IT APPROPRIATE FOR ME TO COME HERE? IT IS THEIR PRIVATE TIME.

As I entered the room Pratyusha stood up and said, "I will be back soon," and went outside. I did not know what to say or what to do. Nabarun stood up and came near me. And before I could understand anything he embraced me and kissed my lips. I was not prepared for that, so I was taken aback. But soon I got my composer back and tried to resist him. He realized that I was unwilling, so he left my lips and whispered, "what happened?"

I whispered back angrily, "what are you doing?"

He was still holding me tightly. He smiled and sniffed my neck. "I am loving my boyfriend. But you started to smoke again. Why?"

"Why are you doing this to me?"

"I missed you baby, missed you so much. Didn't you miss me? After so many months I could finally see you and you are behaving like this. Won't you have any mercy on me?" He continued to plant small pecks on my neck, nape and collar bone.

I forcefully tried to free me from his clutch, "we are brothers in law."

"Don't worry, no one will come in. Pratyusha is standing outside." His hot breath was burning my skin and his shamelessness was burning my heart.

"What do you want from me?"

"Baby! Why do you always behave like this? You know very well that I don't want anything from you, I just want you. Let me kiss you, I am starving for it." He captured my mouth with his own and kissed me for long. His hands were moving on my back. I was unable to refuse him anymore. I felt helpless and decided to never come in front of him in future.

IT IS YOUR WEDDING NIGHT AND YOU ARE SHAMELESSLY KISSING ANOTHER PERSON, YOU ARE KISSING YOUR BRIDES ELDER BROTHER. DO YOU WANT TO KEEP BOTH OF US? DO YOU WANT BOTH PRATYUSHA AND ME? OHH! THAT'S WHY YOU MARRIED MY SISTER. I NEVER THOUGHT YOU CAN DO THIS.

As he left my lips, I asked, "are you satisfied now?"

"Yes, yes, I know I can't do anything more now. But, please visit me frequently. You will like our rented flat and our bedroom. What kind of bed do you like? I will buy it according to your choice."

"According to my..."

I heard some voices and three knocks on the door. Nabarun made me seat at one place and he himself sat on a place not too far. Pratyusha came in with my mother and some other ladies. They came in with tea and snacks. My mother glanced at me and asked, "why did you not take some rest at night? You are looking pale."

I saw Pratyusha smiled brightly as Nabarun gave her a smile of assurance. They looked so happy together. No one could say that he was passionately kissing me one minute ago.

"I will take rest after the bidai of this burden. I will sleep peacefully then."

"What? Did you call me a burden?" Pratyusha shouted.

I said, "what else should I call you?" and went out.