CHAPTER 1

There are a group of ruffians who are threatening every family of our locality. I gather my friends and we are trying to unite everyone to stand against them. Somehow, they come to know about our work and attack us directly. We run into a building and hide. Then we hear the roar of a Royal Enfield and the foul shouting of the ruffians stops. I crawl to the balcony and peek outside. Those ruffians are nowhere to see. Only a person in jacket is standing there.

IS IT YOU? YOU ARE HERE TOO. THANKS FOR COMING.

But I cannot see your face as you are wearing a helmet. I want to see your face; I want to know you. You lift your face towards this balcony; you are looking at me. But the sunlight reflects on your helmet and it is blinding me. I cannot stand it so I close my eyes. But the light is still there. I move from the balcony and cover my eyes with my hands but the light is still there. I come inside my room but the light is still on my eyes. Finally I open my eyes with great difficulty.

I found myself in my bed and the big tube light over my head was on. Actually, both the tube lights were on.

WHAT TIME IS IT?

I checked my phone and it was only five in the morning. It was still the time for sleep. I love my morning sleep and usually wake up at nine in the morning.

WHY ARE THE LIGHTS ON? WHO DID THIS?

I looked across the room and discover that my new roommate Nabarun was studying on his table. I was super annoyed.

IS THIS THE TIME TO STUDY?

I had went to bed past midnight and wanted to sleep more. My other two roommates Surojit and Snehangsu were still sleeping. Surojit was a late riser like me and we three had studied the previous night. Nabarun went to bed early.

AM I THE ONLY ONE IRRITATED?

I tried to sleep again but could not. I was about to see the face of that person in my dream when the light disturbed me. That realization made me angrier.

"Nabarun, why did you wake up so early?" I asked without expressing my annoyance.

"I wake up early every morning. This is the best time to study," Nabarun said facing me.

"But we don't like to wake up early, you know."

"I didn't wake you up."

"You did," I was still polite. "As you switched on the lights, our sleep was disturbed. Please switch off the lights and let us sleep."

"You stayed awake late; I didn't say anything. Now this is my study time, why should I switch off the lights?"

"Nabarun, don't argue, you are new to this room." I said angrily, "We have some rules in the room. No one object about the lights at the night. Anyone can sleep whenever he wants. But the last person going to bed should switch off the lights in the night. If the last person sleeps while reading, no one complains. But if you want to wake up early then buy a table lamp for yourself. Surojit and I suffer from headache if we wake up early. My day is already wasted, please spare them."

"And what about my sleep at night?"

"You can cover your eyes at night. Everyone in this hostel does this. Initially I too was unable to sleep with lights on but became habituated within a fortnight."

"Why should I do all the adjustments?"

"Because you are the only one complaining about our old practices. By the way, we are also adjusting with you. Just don't disturb our morning sleep."

"I will not buy a table lamp."

"I will let you use mine," I softened my voice.

I get out of my bed and searched in my cupboard.

"Here it is. Please don't switch on the lights in the morning. The Sun will rise soon, then you can study in day light."

I switch off the lights and tried to sleep again but could not. So I went to the washroom instead. Then I decided to go for a walk in our university campus.