CHAPTER 6

Durga Puja, our biggest festival was about to come. For the previous three years I went home for a month to celebrate Durga Puja, Lakshmi Puja, Kali Puja and Bhai Phonta. But that year I was reluctant to go home.

"Nabarupa, when will you go home this year?"

"We have classes till Mahapanchami and my brother has classes till that day too. We will go home next day," she said.

Mallika had to take the same train as mine. My station came first and her station came one hour later. So we used to go home together. Debesh and Amit were childhood friends and from a same town. They used to go home together with Nabarupa as their stations were in same route.

"We never experienced the whole night pandal hopping in this city. This is our last year together. Can we do it this year?" I asked to everyone.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" they all cheered.

"Mallika, you should take permission from your parents. Nabarupa, you have to assure her parents. Your brother will be with you, so, I think you don't have to worry about your father's permission," I said.

"Wow, is Nabarun also going with us? I will make my parents agree with it," Mallika said happily.

"I did not ask him, I made this plan just now," I replied.

"Nabarupa, call your brother," Mallika said excitedly.

"Why don't we go to his department instead, we can meet him that way," Debesh suggested.

"What a great idea! Let's go," Mallika stood up and hung her backpack.

We reached Nabarun's department and Nabarupa called him.

I said, "don't tell him that we are here, just ask him where he is."

But before I could complete my sentence and the call could connect I saw him coming out. Two girls and a boy were with him. One girl was wearing a mini skirt and she looked hot, the other girl was a true beauty. Amit and Debesh stared at them with their mouth open while Mallika was angry to see those girls near Nabarun.

Debesh teased her, "Mallika, I think you have no chance to be Nabarupa's sister-in-law."

Seeing him, Nabarupa already disconnected the call but Nabarun did not notice us. The boy was wearing glasses and he was handsome. They were talking and laughing. Suddenly that boy held Nabarun's shoulders with one arm and punched lightly on his chest with the other hand. Nabarun laughed loudly. I never seen him like that, he was genuinely happy with them.

Mallika was jealous only on those girls but I felt inferior to all three of them. All my happiness, which I got from making the pandal hopping plan was vanished in that moment. All three of them were better looking than me, they were out going like him too. My eyes started itching and a feeling of jealousy filled my heart. All my fantasy about our close relationship shattered away.

They came closer to us and I looked away. Finally Nabarun saw us and came near us. Then he introduced his friends to us and vice versa. I only said "hello" with great difficulty.

Nabarupa stated the purpose of our visit and his friends cheered up. Everyone agreed to do that but I felt dejected.

After everyone went to their separate roads Nabarun walked beside me towards our hostel. I tried to change the gloomy atmosphere and said, "those girls were too beautiful. How do you concentrate on lecturers sitting beside them? They can break the meditation of any sage."

"I am not any sage, I have no problem with them."

"And that boy, I think he is more studious than you."

"Yes, he is the topper of this university. We are having a close competition."

"You must have friends from your previous university and schools too. You are a friendly person, everyone wants to be your friend."

"And you?"

"Me?"

"Don't you like me as your friend?"

"I do."

"Was that your plan?"

"Hmm, I was trying to help Mallika. She likes you very much," I lied to him.

He sighed and said, "let's sit beside the lake. These lotuses are more beautiful than girls."

___

I am riding a black horse in a jungle, wearing some ancient garments. The jungle is thick and I am tired from a long journey. Some bandits with black masks surround me and attack. I start fighting with them with my sword but they are more in numbers. I don't know how long can I fight alone. Suddenly you come towards me with a long sword in your hand, riding on a white horse. You are wearing a white dress and your face is covered with a white veil. You are a superb fighter and defeat the bandits within a short time. I thank you. I cannot see your face but I can see your eyes. I have seen those eyes somewhere else. Your eyes are dark and deep but I see softness in them. You nod towards me and ride away on your horse.

I woke up and drank some water. It was four in the morning. I tried to sleep again but those eyes did not let me sleep.

I WILL FIND YOU ONE DAY AND THANK YOU PROPERLY. THEN I WILL DATE YOU. WAIT, WHAT AM I THINKING? NABARUN WILL LAUGH AT ME. BUT WHY AM I THINKING ABOUT NABARUN? OH MY GOD! I SHOULD THINK ABOUT MY STUDIES.