CHAPTER 10

Multinational companies and large scale companies generally select students from third year and fourth year through some rounds of selection procedures. I appeared in a number of interviews and easily passed the first round every time. But always failed in the final round and sometimes in the second round. Debesh, Nabarupa and Mallika were already selected. Amit wanted to study further so he never appeared in any job interviews. More than sixty percent of students were already selected. I was depressed about my failure in interview that day and went back to my room early. No one was present in the room, everyone was in their departments. I pressed my face on the pillow and curled up in the bed. My friends called me but I did not receive their calls. They messaged me repeatedly but I did not see those messages. I had no idea how much time I spend like that. Suddenly someone touched my back lightly and I curled up more.

"Look at me, I have something important to say you." It was Nabarun. I felt more ashamed.

I AM SECRETLY WANTING THIS PERSON FOR SO MANY DAYS BUT I AM NO MATCH FOR HIM. HE MUST BE LAUGHING AT ME INTERNALLY. I CAN'T GET A JOB AND SHAMELESSLY DREAMING ABOUT THIS PERSON. I AM A TOTAL FAILURE. MY PARENTS WILL BE DISAPPOINTED AT ME. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING GOOD. I AM USELESS.

"Nishith, what happened? Are you okay? Get up. Show me your face."

"I don't have any face to show you, I was rejected again."

"How many times did you fail?"

"May be six or seven times. I don't remember exactly."

"You are rejected for only six or seven times and behaving like this."

I got up angrily and said, "what do you mean? Have you ever faced rejection in your life?"

"Not exactly. But I think it is not bad to be rejected in job interviews. Was that the job you were dreaming about?"

"No, it's not that. But everyone is getting a job except for me. And the pay scale was good in that company."

"But I think you deserve better than that. May be there is some reason why you did not get that job. May be something even better is waiting for you. May be god has some better plans for you."

"But, that's not the point. I am not good at interviews, that's why I am not getting anything."

"Then make yourself better. When you face interviews don't think anything about getting or not getting the job. Just do your best, say what you want to say and be yourself. If you do not get it you can go for another one. And salaries often changes with time, you will be promoted if you perform well. Some people can stay stuck in the same salary for long where some people get increment quickly according to their performance. You are a quick learner, you will definitely do good in job."

"But the main problem is getting the job. I have to get the job first."

"Definitely. But you have to control your anxiety for that. You have to believe that you are the best."

"It's easier to say than done. How can I think myself as best, I am a total failure."

"Will you believe me if I say that you are the best?"

"Do you really think so?"

"Yes, I have a high esteem of you. I think you can do better than anyone."

My phone rang again and he said, "pick up the phone."

It was Nabarupa, she said that another reputed company would come next day.

Nabarun suggested, "let's go to the terrace to watch the sunset."

"I want to wash my face first."

"You wash your face and go there, I am going to buy tea and snacks."

Nabarun was right, what I had to do was not to worry about the result. The rest was easy, I was selected that time. And it was unexpectedly a higher pay than the previous company. My friends were happy for me. I send a thank you message to Nabarun before going to treat them. My roommates were also very happy.

Surojit said, "you are the first one to get job among us. I don't know when will I get a job."

Snehangshu said, "don't forget to treat us."

"I will treat you as early as possible."

Nabarun only congratulated me and said nothing about it until we went to the terrace after dinner.

"Are you not happy for me. I get this job because of your inspiration."

"And you only sent me a thank you message. Don't I deserve more?"

"I will treat you twice."

"I don't want your treat."

"Then what do you want? I will give you that if my pocket permits."

"It is not about pocket, you will be able to give me that if your heart permits."

"I have a big heart. Just say which one of my belongings do you want?"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, just name it."

"I want...." He hesitated and did not say anything.

"Is it something important?"

"Yes, it is important for me. But I think it is not the right time to ask for it. Remember your promise, I will ask for it later."