Chapter 25: Well Contrary To Popular Belief, I Don't Hate You

Thank God it's Saturday. I don't know if I could have handled going to school one more day this week. I don't put a lot of effort into my outfit because I don't really want Mrs. Smith to think of me as slutty. As I'm walking out the door I get a text from her saying that Jake wrote a song he wants to perform for me. I tell her okay and get into the car with my mom. She's a lot more understanding about going to see Jake than my dad.

My dad and I almost got into a really bad argument over going to see him. I forgave him though, he's my dad and family is important to me. My mom drops me off at the hospital and I thank her. She tells me that she'll call me when we need to leave, I agree. I walk into the hospital I haven't been in since Rose was sick. I make my way to the front desk and the little old lady smiles at me.

"What can I do for you sweetie?"

"Can you tell me which room Jacob Smith is in?"

"Why yes dear, he's in 705! Grab a visitor sticker and sign in," she slid a clipboard to me on the desk that was really too high for her. 

I signed my name, the date, and who I was here seeing. "Thank you!" I smile as I stick the sticker over my heart.

I make my way to the elevators. I step inside one when it finally opens and nobody is in it or around me. I hit the 7 button and I feel myself move. The doors open to the all-too-familiar hallway. I came here every other day with Julie, Ray, Flynn, and Carlos when Rose was sick. I kept my head down as I passed 702. The room she died in.

I arrive at 705 and knock on the door. "Come in," a voice says from the other side.

I guess I never really grasped how bad the accident was. Jake looked happy, his face lit up when he saw me, but I looked at him. His left leg was in a cast and his right leg was elevated. His left arm was almost completely black and purple from all the bruises. His nose was still bandaged from when I hit him and he had scratches all over.

"Pretty bad, huh Jake?"

He looked down, "Yeah, but Doc said I'd be out of here in about a week."

Mrs. Smith stood up, "I'll give you two some privacy," she smiled at me and walked into the hall.

I sat in the close chair she was sitting in, which was next to the bed, "Wow... a week. That's a long time. Do you think you'll play lacrosse again?"

He shook his head, "Not this season, but I'm hoping to in college."

"Oh that's right, you're graduating this year."

He looked up at me with his blue eyes, they weren't as pretty as Reggie's green or even Luke's hazel, but they were still cool. "I am, and I think I'm going to miss high school."

"I'll miss you when you leave."

"You will! Why?"

"Well contrary to popular belief, I don't hate you. I probably should... but I just can't. We've been friends for so long and so what you made mistakes? We're human! It happens all the time." He looked down, remembering what occurred a couple weeks ago. "But, it worked out for the better, because we are both with people we really want to be with. We're happier!"

"I'm breaking up with Carrie next time I see her." He looked into my eyes. I needed to say something, anything... but nothing came out. "You said happier, right?"

"Yeah," I was very confused. 

"That reminds me of the song I wrote for you last night," he grabbed a note-pad off the little bedside table and he started singing a heartbreaking song.

I could feel my eyes burning when he was done. When I blinked I felt the hot liquid escape my eyes and fall down my cheek. He was crying too. I could feel the friendship that was just restored in the room. I felt the tension and awkwardness melting away. He took his one good hand and brushed the tear away from my cheek.

I took his hand, "Jake. I love you. I always will, but you hurt me and you know that. I love my boyfriend more than anything."

My left hand was the one that was on his right, "Did he propose or something?" He let out a soft chuckle.

I smiled too, "No, it's a promise ring."

Jake took my hand and twisted it so he could look at the ring, "A ghost?" he laughed. 

I smiled, "Private joke."

"Ah, I see..." he made a weird face and we both burst out laughing.

I sigh, "You know the last time I was in this hospital, Rose was sick."

He squeezed my hand that he was still holding. "Wasn't she on this floor?"

"Yeah, she died in 702," more tears fell down my now-red cheeks.

He reached up with his good hand again and caught the tears, "I am so sorry, I must have forgotten."

My phone vibrated and I looked to see my mom sending me a text saying we needed to go. "I have to leave, sorry Jake."

"Hey! No worries. I'm just glad you came."

"Thanks for the song, it means a lot to me."

"Hey, I may not be that musical but I can write really good songs!"

"I agree," I leaned over him and kissed his forehead. "I'll see you soon, I promise I'll visit you when you go home."

"Thanks, and good job with the performance last night!"

I smiled, "Thank you, I'll see you around."

I walked out into the hall and closed the door. I let out a heavy breath and wandered over to the elevator. On my way there I was three girls sitting in the nearby chairs. The one in the middle was sobbing and the other two were sad, but they were so busy comforting the girl in the middle. Before I called the elevator I squatted down in front of them.

"Hey, it'll be okay. Who's sick?"

Through the tears she barley managed a "My daddy."

"Okay, well are these two your bestfriends?"

She just nodded and the other two girls looked at me. "I can promise you right now that these girls will stick by you for the rest of your school-life, maybe even your entire life." I had a smile on my face, but this scene hurt me.

"What if they leave me?" 

I looked at the girls on either side of them. One of the girls looked like she would fight me if I touched her bestfriend. Flynn. I looked at the other girl who had a more caring look. Me. "Friends will come and go, so will boyfriends and possibly girlfriends, but the relationship you will have with these girls to make it through this will last a lifetime."

She stood out of her seat and hugged me, almost knocking me down. She mumbled into my shoulder, "Thank you."

After she released me I waved goodbye and pressed the button to call the elevator. I wish the three of us girls had someone to tell us that in the end, everything would be okay. I walked out of the lobby and got into my mom's car. 

"What's wrong sweetie?" she asked before she started driving.

I just looked at her, "Oh nothing, for once I think everything is okay..."