Chapter 24: I Promise

"We need to tell Jules!" I looked up at Reggie and reached for my phone.

He grabbed my wrist, "Luke specifically told me not to let you do that. He said it'll mean more loss in her life and he doesn't want anything to effect her."

"That's sweet, but she deserves to know..."

"And she will," he pulled me into another hug, "just not right now."

We were standing there for a minute when my phone started to ring. It was Jacob's mom. So much has been happening recently that I forgot he was in the hospital. I picked my phone up and answered it.

"Hey Mrs. Smith! How's Jake doing?"

"He's doing a lot better! Thank you for asking... I'm sorry that I'm calling so late and I know that you two broke up, but ever since he got in here he's been asking for you."

"Oh... wow. Yeah it's okay! I wasn't asleep anyways. How come he was asking for me? Him and Carrie are together right?"

"Yes. Yes, but she doesn't want to come and see him."

I rolled my eyes, "I'll be there tomorrow!"

"Really?"

"Yes! We're still friends and I enjoy hanging out with you!"

"You're too sweet! I'll see you tomorrow, text me when you get here!"

"I will, bye Mrs. Smith!"

"Bye sweetie!"

I hung up and Reggie was just looking at me. "What?"

"Was that your ex-boyfriend's mom?"

"Yeah, Jacob is in the hospital... he got into a bad car-crash and he's been asking for me."

"Aren't him and Carrie together?"

"Yes, but she's weird about hospitals, so she won't go see him."

Reg crossed his arms, "So why are you going?"

"Look, I know what he did was bad, but he's still one of my oldest friends. I can't just ignore him for these last two years of high school."

"I don't see why you couldn't," Reggie scoffed.

"Reggie! I understand that you don't like him. But you are most likely going to leave me... what am I supposed to do, not be with anyone for the rest of my life after you're gone? Don't you want me to be happy?"

He looked down, "Of course I do... but we don't know if we actually have to leave."

"You of all people should know the meaning of friendship," I stood up and walked out of my room. I went to the kitchen to see if we had any pizza. We had one slice left.

I went back to my room, fully expecting him to be gone. He was, but there was another ghost sitting in my room.

"Luke? what are you doing here?"

He looked up and he had obviously been crying. "I went to go see my parents. I've been doing it quite often, but this time they were talking about me and I just couldn't deal with it. I didn't care where I went I just wanted some place warm and homey. Subconsciously I teleported here."

I didn't know what to say, so I went with, "Wow... well you just missed Reggie."

I think he could sense the fact I didn't know what to do so he gave a little smile, "Yeah? Did he tell you about everything Willie said?"

I sat next to him on my bed, but not too close, "Yeah. He wants to crossover with you guys."

"He's going to leave you?"

"That's not necessarily what I would say he's doing. You guys are the only family he's ever really had. Besides, his parents' house got turned into that bike shack on the beach."

"That isn't fair though!" Luke stood up and put his hands in his hair. "You love him and he was there for you when that kid Jacob cheated on you and he's just going to leave you?"

"Luke," I said calmly.

He stopped pacing, "What?"

"I love him. I love all of you guys. You have all been my family these last couple weeks... no matter what happens I want you guys to do what's best for you. No matter how much it hurts me. You are all brothers and I don't want to be the one that splits you up." I took a deep breath. "If he wants to crossover, I won't say anything about it. I just don't think he should make a decision now."

"Yeah, I agree-" Luke was about to say something else when I purple jolt went through him. I know there getting worse because he was on the floor, holding his stomach.

"Luke!" I almost screamed, but then I remembered my parents were right the down the hall. "Are you alright?"

He was panting and then he laid on his back, "Yeah... I'm fine."

"Oh thank God," I put my hand over my heart and then I remembered my bestfriend, "Alex! Go check on Alex!"

He nodded, sat up and poofed away. I let out a long, deep breath and sat back on my bed. I glanced at my phone to check the time, but I forgot to actually check the time. I was about to look again when Reggie appeared with his hand behind his back.

"Hey Reg," I sighed.

"What's wrong?" I told him what had just happened. "Oh wow. Well... I got you something!" He pulled his hand from behind his back and I looked at it. There was a small, black box with two rings in it.

 There was a small, black box with two rings in it

"Reggie..."

He put a finger up to my lips, "Just listen! If I was alive and I could, I would marry you. However a priest can't exactly marry two people when they can't see one of them. We've already said that we loved each other and now I want to make it a promise," he put the larger ring on his finger. He took the smaller one and help it up to me, "By putting these rings on our fingers, we promise to love each other as long as we are both on this earth."

I took the ring from him and slipped it on my left hand's ring finger. I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. I whispered in his ear, "I Promise."