Chapter 19: Perfect Harmony Was About Her

"Okay," I looked at the blonde-haired ghost sitting on my bed. "So Luke was mad because Reg and I were showing physical affection... that doesn't necessarily mean he likes one of us, it could just mean he wants someone to do that with... no offense."

Alex shook his head, "None taken, and that's exactly what I though until today after we shot the music video..."

Alex's Last POV:

Julie pressed the stop button on the camera. I made some "Whoop whoop!" noises and Luke clapped. "That was amazing!" Julie yelled.

Reggie turned to Y/N, "So who was that song about?"

She giggled, "I love you Reg, but sometimes your noggin is a little slow."

The entire room stopped what we were doing. Reggie stammered, "Wh- what?"

"We'll give you guys some privacy," I said gesturing for Luke and Julie to come with me.

Once we got outside Julie got by the door to listen and Luke dragged me to the stone stairs. I looked down at him and I could see the pain in his eyes. This was the same pain that was in those hazel eyes the day he left his mom, the day he lost someone he loved.

"Why did she have to pick him?" he asked after he pulled away.

"She didn't really pick, Luke. I'm gay and you were awful to her for a while. Then Reg was there to comfort her when Jacob broke her heart. You insisted on writing with Julie."

"Because we made such a great team and I was writing those songs about Y/N. Perfect Harmony was about her..."

Julie looked over at us, she had heard what he said. I think she was more focused on Y/N and Reggie though. I feel like she would have been more upset if she actually listened to us.

I covered my mouth when I realized, "That's why you were so mean to her... because you liked her!" I rolled my eyes and scoffed, "Guitarists."

"Please don't tell her or Reggie! I'm sure this'll just go away."

"You haven't had that many crushes have you?"

He looked down, "Just you..."

Y/N's POV:

"-and that's when we walked over to the door to listen to the conversation you guys were having."

I had my hand over my mouth, "So the reason that Luke was so mean was because he liked me?"

"Yep."

"And the day of the dance, at Trevor's... when he snapped at me it was because I was talking too much about Julie?"

"That and the whole thing where if he got credit, his mom would know he succeeded doing what he loved."

I sank back onto my bed, "Wow. I had no idea."

"You absolutely cannot tell Reggie."

"I won't, I won't. I'll let Luke do that."

A couple minutes went by in silence. Alex was starting to worry, "Please talk to me. I want to know what's going through your mind."

I had tears in my eyes, I know I did. I sat up, "Alex... I love Reggie," I paused trying to think of the right words and I felt a tear fall from my left eye, "I don't want to be the one to break Luke's heart. He's already lost so much and I don't want him to completely withdrawal from the world. He's become a good friend of mine and I don't want to lose that friendship."

"I hate to be the one to say this CC, but you have to make a choice. It's either your friendship with Luke... or your relationship with Reg."

"I- I don't want to choose, Lex," I could feel a lot more tears on my face now.

Alex was on the verge of tears also, "I know. And it's going to be a difficult choice because Luke is like your brother, but no matter what, Julie and I will always be here for you."

I was ugly crying now. So I had to either lose my big brother or my boyfriend? Well that's just great. I pulled my knees up to my chest and I hugged them. Alex looked as if he didn't know what to do.

"Hey! I have an idea..." he walked over to my backpack and pulled out my song book and a pencil. "Write about it! You're really good at that, and maybe you'll realize which choice will become clear."

I took the book and the pencil and lowered my knees, "Okay."

I opened the book and stared at the blank page. "If I never had hard days I wouldn't feel like I earned anything right?" I asked.

Alex looked at me. "That's good!"

I thought about the day Reggie and I danced in the rain, if Luke and I were close, like that... that isn't what we would have done. I finished the song. My choice was very clear.

"It's called Hard Days, Lex. And I think I've made the very painful choice."

"Well? Who are you going to choose?"