Chapter 18: You Guys Have Both Lost a Mother And I Feel Like She Gets You More

"I actually think I'm going to head home..." I grab my bag, "bye Reg!" I kiss him on the cheek. "Bye Jules! Thank you for today," I hug her. "Come on Lex, how does a sleepover sound?"

"Great!"

We walk out of the garage and onto the street. Alex is quieter than usual and I notice. "Lex?" He looked up at his nickname being said, "Is there something you want to talk to me about?"

He sighed, "A lot of things actually."

"Okay... let's start with why you've been extra emotional since the dance?"

"I- I met this cute ghost, his name is Willie. He's a skater-boy and we really hit it off. He's the reason we were at that ghost club... the night we missed the dance. He's been basically finding me, to just turn around and run away. Today he came by and I asked him what his deal was. He said and I quote, 'We never should have met.'" There were tears building up in Alex's eyes.

"Hey, it's okay Lex. He may not be the right ghost for you... ya know?"

"Yeah..." we arrived at my house, just my mom's car was parked in the driveway. She brings her work home with her sometimes to physically leave her office early, so I know not to disturb her at this hour. Alex and I walk up to my room and I close the door. He sits on my bed.

"Is that all that's bothering you?"

"No..." he sighed, "I'm so not allowed to tell you this, but I know why Luke was friendly with you after the dance and why he was so mad today."

I sat next to him, "I won't say anything... what's up with him? I'm a little worried."

"Okay, so I'll tell you what happened so I don't physically tell you what I'm not supposed to say. Alright, this is taking place right after the dance when Reggie was here. Luke brought us back to the garage..."

Alex's POV:

"Dang Luke, I never knew how much Julie means to you," I smiled, realizing he had a crush.

"Yeah, she means a lot to me and everything, but did you hear the way Y/N was standing up to me? She wanted to make me feel like I had wronged Julie, but I just felt like I hurt her."

"That's the power girls have," I put my hand on his shoulder.

He shrugged it off and went to sit on the couch he'd slept on for the many months he stayed here at my house, back when he ran away from home. I walked over and sat next to him, but not too close.

"Look, given our history... I know what face you make when you like someone, AND you kinda made that face at Julie when you sang Bright with her," I said, looking at those beautiful hazel eyes.

He turned and faced me, our knees were touching, "But Alex, I have chemistry with everyone I sing with, even Reggie. I honestly don't feel that strong for Julie. I mean yes, she's a nice girl and she's so pretty... but I think I like someone else more," during the last part of that sentence our eyes met. I thought he was talking about me.

I didn't want to relive what happened when we were alive, "Um, but Julie... you guys connect in so many ways. Like through writing music! You guys both have lost a mother and I feel like she gets you more."

Luke nodded, looking up at the loft, "Yeah... I guess. Y/N writes music too. And Reg showed me that song she confronted that kid Jacob with... it was really good!"

"Yeah, I know it was," he smiled like he was looking at a distant memory. "I think I'm going to take a walk on the beach. I need to clear my head."