Prologue

Prologue

"Mommy, Mommy, look at my painting!"

Emily looked down at her little 7-year old son. He was a cute little mess with colors smeared all over his face, hands and clothes. Jayden pushed the paper in front of Emily's face. Emily kissed his forehead and said, "Honey, looks like we got an artist in this house. I wanna put it on the fridge."

Jayden giggled and handed his mom the painting and she attached it to the fridge. She took a step back and examined it. It was of herself, Jayden, and Drew, her husband and his father. Emily took out her cell phone and snapped a picture of it. Memories to keep.

Drew came into the kitchen and threw Jayden over his shoulder. "Looks like we gave birth to a little Picasso, ain't I right, babe?"

Emily blushed. "Darling, you always are." She sighed. "I'm gonna go to the mall."

She walked over to Drew as he was putting Jayden down. Emily wrapped her arms around Drew's neck and gave him a long, passionate... goodbye kiss. He responded automatically. Finally, they pulled away breathless.

"Ewww!" Jayden yelled.

Emily bent down and grabbed Jayden into a bear hug. She whispered into his ear, smiling, "Jay Jay, soon you're gonna be doing that."

"Ewww, like nooo!"

Getting up, Emily was hysterical. "Hahaha! Well, goodbye, my boys. I love you guys."

And with that, she took her bag and walked out the front door. Her car engine started and soon the second space in the driveway was empty.

A few hours later... it was still empty.

A few days later... she didn't appear.

A few months later... she didn't return.

A few years later.....

she never came back.