Liar Liar.

Laurel

Love was thick in the air as Valentine's day neared. Every year I've spent this so-called holiday alone, but luckily for me, this year I won't have to.

Ever since Voldemort threatened Draco's life, I've pursued his request, and have fully invested myself in the chosen one himself, much to my dismay.

I didn't hate Harry, but I didn't see him in that light. I saw him more as a friend, but he didn't need to know that. I just needed him under the impression that I adored him far more than I ever adored Draco, which meant I needed to spend some time with Grant and learn to become a better liar.

It broke my heart seeing Draco mope around, and I ached to tell him not to feed too much into things, but I couldn't without the risk of him being killed. It would kill me to lose him.

This charade I've put on since I've returned has worked thus far. Harry is convinced that I'd do anything and everything for him. He's even relaxed some. Hermione told me that Harry was fixated on the idea that Draco was a death eater, but it seems as if he's completely forgotten about it. I just felt bad for lying all the time. Not just to Harry and Draco but myself.

It was a brisk Tuesday morning, and I didn't have didn't have a first-period class on today. Professor Binns thought we deserved a break for being such overachieving students.

Not long after I broke up with Draco, I began to piece together a plan to get Harry where I wanted him. I had begun to spend a lot of time with Grant, and since then, he and I are no longer on the outs.

I have my best friend back, and as much as I hate to admit it, I missed the boy. Grant isn't as bad as I lead him on to be. I was just hurt. All of the hurt went away once I realized my feelings for Draco.

"What's on your mind, El?" Grant asked me curiously. I was sitting at the Gryffindor table minding my own business, staring off into space when he brought me out of my daze.

I broke my blank stare and found myself locking eyes with a certain pair of grey ones. I tried my hardest to peel mine away, but I couldn't. Not until he offered me a weak smile. I couldn't subject myself to him again. I needed to regain my focus. "El," Grant repeated. He snapped his fingers in front of me to gain my attention. "El, what are you—" He turned around and saw Draco looking in our direction. "Need I remind you that you're dating Potter?"

"No." I spat firmly. "I was just looking around. Not at anyone in particular."

"Sure."

I rolled my eyes and resumed my breakfast. "Hey," Harry said in a cheerful greeting tone. He sat down next to me and placed a slice of toast on his plate along with a few strips of bacon. "How was your night?" He inquired.

"It wasn't so bad. I was up all night cramming for Slughorns potions quiz." I confessed. While I was away, I missed a lot of class, and I'm finally getting caught up. I was an entire semester's worth of class behind in potions. This quiz has questions about potions that I haven't learned yet.

"You know, I could always help you, Laurel," Harry offered. "I am at the top of the class." He grinned.

Another opportunity presents itself. I need to get Harry to fall for me. I would hate to resort to a love potion or charm, but I'll do whatever it takes to protect Draco at all costs.

I nodded eagerly at the boy.

The morning bell rang signaling that it was time for class. Harry stood up and kissed me goodbye before beginning to walk off.

"You coming, Grant?" He asked.

"I'll catch up with you. I've got a stomach ache, so I'm going to go see Pomfrey before class. El, could you go with?"