Chapter Forty

"You don't have to tell me" you watch the redhead stare intensely at the photo.

"No it's okay" she manages to transfer her gaze to you. "Are you sure?" she nodded slowly, "Yeah, maybe it will trigger something" you nodded and waited for her to begin.

She began to tell you random stories that she remembered. They were very vague but she gave enough detail where you felt like you were there. While she was still telling you stories, Wanda and Peter joined in. There were a variety of stories they told, and from them, you could tell you were the closest with these three. It was also mentioned that at one point you went on a date with Bucky which you slightly laughed at as you picture the Winter Soldier going on a date.

A few hours had passed of the three of them talking while you sat there and listened. Now your brain was filled with memories but they felt like they were someone else's.

Peter had just finished telling you about a trip the team took to the amusement park, "is this ringing any bells?" Peter's eyes held hope and you hated to crush his spirit but you couldn't lie.

"I'm sorry" you cringed, you couldn't help but feel like a failure in this very moment. "Y/n, don't be sorry you tried" Natasha took your hand in hers. "I didn't do anything" you looked down at your connected hands and felt butterflies being released in your stomach. "You listened and that's more than we could ask of you" Wanda's warm smile seemed to melt all your negative thoughts away. These people were kind and you felt safe with them.

"Y/n you must be hungry" You shrugged at Natasha's comment. "Why don't you and peter go get something to eat in the kitchen" you nod and peter led you out of the room. The two of you were chatting and making sandwiches while the rest of the team sat in the living room and discussed.

"Have you tried telling her stories?" Tony suggested. "Yeah and none of them worked" Natasha leaned back in her seat. "It wasn't this hard to snap Bucky out of it"

"Barnes was a soldier, y/n seems to have all her emotions intact" Wanda interjected. "And she can think for herself" Natasha added. "How can we be sure about that?" Steve "are you implying that someones controlling her right now?" Natasha was starting to get defensive even thought she wasn't sure.

"Just as a precaution we should have her on lock down, until we can confirm she isn't" Steve was more careful with his words this time. "So what we just lock her in her room?" Wanda decided to fight him.

"If no one can keep an eye on her" Tony took Steve's side on this. "How would you suggest we keep an eye on her?" Bruce butted in, still not taking any sides. "Cameras?" Tony suggested and the girls immediately disagreed with that.

"That's an invasion of privacy" Wanda "What about someone sleeping with her?" Steve instantly regretted his choice of wording, "Not like that" he said towards Tony who was making a face.

"We could switch off staying with her throughout the day" everyone agreed. "Someone has to stay with her while everyone is sleeping" Tony pointed out as they were figuring out a schedule.

"What about Natasha, aren't they dating?" Thor suggested. "Well not really, she doesn't remember" Bucky rubbed it in but Natasha kept a stoic face.

"Either way agent Romanoff would still be our best option" Tony broke the tension. "Is that alright with you Romanoff?" Steve asked, not wanting it to be awkward for her. "Yeah, but who's going to tell her?"

----

When Steve and Tony explained that someone was going to be with you at all times you didn't complain because this was better than them throwing you in a cell, which you probably belong in since you are working for the enemy.

"Someone will come by in the morning to switch off" Steve told Natasha before she left to get ready for bed. After she showered and changed she made her way to your room. "Parker time for bed" she spoke and Peter nodded and hugged you before heading to his room.

"How'd you get stuck doing the night shift?" you watched her as she made her way to the couch in your room. "What if it was my choice?" she challenged and you laughed.

"What?" she asked breaking you out of your laughing fit, "You don't expect me to believe that" you joked. "Why not?" a smile was threatening to show itself on her face. "Because no one chooses the night shift, their the worst" you said dramatically and she let the smile spread across her face.

She missed you so much and for a second it felt like old times. "So what's a the drill?" you sat up against the headboard. She tilted her head in question, "like are you going to sleep or just going to like, watch me?" you felt awkward asking. "That depends, are you going to try leave the room in the middle of the night?" you smiled and shook your head. "Then I don't have to watch you" she unfolded a blanket and draped it over her lap, still sitting up.

You laid down and closed your eyes. After a few minutes you could still feel her eyes on you so you sat back up. "So you are going to watch me sleep" you teased and she smirked not saying anything. "What do you just not need sleep that you can watch me all night?" you joked and all you got from her was a 'Yeah'.

"Well if your not going to sleep, then I'm not going to either" you crossed your arms and leaned back against the headboard. "You need rest." You immediately responded with, "so do you"

"How about this, I will once you have fallen asleep?" she suggested and you nodded. "Just don't stare at me please" she agreed and grabbed a book from your shelf. She waved the book to show you and you both shared a short laugh before you laid back down and quickly fell asleep.