Chapter Twelve

The two of you watch as Bucky drives off. Natasha turns to face you, but you keep your eyes trained on the road that Bucky just disappeared down.

She was going to wait for you to look at her, but she realized that wasn't going to happened so she just started to talk, "Y/n, I'm sorry." You move your eyes to look at her for a second before moving them back to look at the road.

"Y/n please look at me." Natasha pleaded and you complied. You turned to fully face her but you first had your eyes on the ground and slowly worked you way up to her eyes. "I didn't mean what I said." She said, "Which time?" you mumbled just audible enough for her to hear. "All of it, what I said that morning when we fought and just now when I made fun of you." she stated. "Then why did you say it?" you say with a hurt expression on your face.

There was a brief pause before Natasha started again, "because I was trying to push you away" your eyes moved away from her again, "But why Nat?" you say almost tearing up now because you're wondering why she has to push you away in the first place, what did you do wrong?

Natasha notices the gears in your head turning and she knows you think, it's your fault. "Y/n, it's not you. It just, you make me feel things. Things that I've never felt toward another person before." she said and you were confused, "What do you mean?" you say now looking in her eyes again. "Ever since that night you slept in my room, something in me just lit up, and ever since then I've felt like I was missing something." You think you know what she's talking about but you have to be sure because you don't like when people make assumptions.

"I don't think I understand what your getting at Natasha." Her gaze slowly moves downward until they land at your feet. "I'm saying that I feel something for you, where I felt a painful tug at my heart when I woke up those two times and you weren't there. You just left." She said not moving her gaze. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize it mattered that much to you." You feel bad now, you didn't think about that but since you barely knew each other you thought it would be awkward. "It doesn't" she said coldly. "If it doesn't matter then why did it bother you so much?" you ask trying to pry the answer out of her, because you know she doesn't even realize what's going on here.

"Oh my gosh y/n, it's because it does matter! I'm trying so hard, but I don't know what to do." she tells you, yelling at first but breaking toward the end. "What to do about what?" you ask, "about this" she says before she quickly grabs your face with her hands, causing you to jump at her swift movements and you shut your eyes. Her hands soften around your face and you can feel that she pulled back a little, so you slowly open your eyes to meet hers. You also notice that her breathing picks up a little, "Nat are you okay?" you ask trying to hide the fear in your voice from your scare moments before. She leans in a little until you noses are a few inches apart, "Can I kiss you?" she asks.

"Why would you want to kiss me?" you ask. "I don't know, I just really want to kiss you right now." she says in a low voice, her chest is still heaving up and down. She's nervous, "Nat? Do you like me?" She froze before fully pulling away from you. The loss of her touch sent a chill through your entire body. "No, of course not." she said looking away. "Nat, I think that's what's going on. You like me." you push. "No y/n I don't." she says. "Nat, stop being so stubborn and be honest with yourself or you'll never get over it!" you let out, almost as a yell. "Fine I like you!" she says matching your tone.

"But I don't want to get over it because when you told me that you didn't even want to be friends with me anymore, I fell apart. So I know that no matter what happens, I can't not have you in my life. Even if we are just friends. So y/n please forgive me for what I did." she pleaded.