fourty

For the first time in her life, Mia couldn't wait for the holiday's to just be over and done with. She couldn't stand the cheer or the joy, much rather preferring to spend her days sulking away in her childhood bedroom with no one else around her. Not even her Gran's famous homemade cookies made her excited, and she was just stuck.

But on one end, she clearly wasn't having the best time. The fact that the entirety of her favourite time of year was ruined aside, there were plenty of other factors tainting her visit home for the holidays. Since Cal's arrival, or what should have been her arrival if she hadn't had come so early, everything had gone downhill. She regretted not appreciating those few days of peace, because everything after had turned into an absolute mess. Her endless fighting with Matt when they were alone was one thing, but to have to act like everything was fine in front of their families right in the middle of what was arguably their worst fight to date was a whole other challenge.  Matt, who was showing much more distaste towards Cal than usual, was also making it harder than it should have been at every family party.

On the other end, Mia still wasn't exactly keen on going back to London. But when push came to shove, she couldn't stand the idea of staying in Scotland for another second. She just wanted the holiday season to end, and if that meant going back to London, then so be it. Hiding in her flat there was always an option, one that she was most likely to take. 

So that was how Mia ended up in Cal's room as soon as they got back from Heathrow, the two of them bickering like children over how to split up some of the homemade treats that both of their families had sent back with them. 

"She's my Nan! Why should you get the bigger box of cookies?!" Mia cried out, pointing to one of the many tins that were laid out across his bed. The suitcases were still in the middle of the room, neither of them bothering to even set them aside neatly because both of them knew that this was more important than tidiness. 

"She likes me more, and you know it!" Cal exclaimed, earning an eye roll out of Mia. 

"Yeah, well," Mia huffed like a child, crossing her arms over her chest defeated, "your Nan likes me more."

"And that's why as a compromise I'll let you have all her fruitcake." Cal said, pointing in the direction of the large fruitcake they brought back with them. 

Mia groaned, "I love the woman, her fruitcake... not so much." 

"I say we call your Nan herself and she'll tell us who she made which batch of cookies for." Cal finally declared, after nearly an hour of bickering. 

"Fine," Mia huffed out, "Just so you know, she's going to say me."

"Well I want to hear it from her myself." Cal said, rolling his eyes as he reached over to grab his phone from his pocket dialing her in. 

"If you do anything remotely shady, I'm shoving every single cookie down my throat right away." Mia said, narrowing her eyes at him whilst he placed the phone on speaker. 

"Calm down, lass. I'm getting those cookies, fair and square." Cal whispered as the phone rang a few times. 

The two continued bickering, neither of them ready to compromise or give into the other. Stakes were high as the phone rang, the sound coming through the speakers echoing off of the walls. This was the first time Mia felt something close to any sort of normal in over a week, and without every wanting to admit it she had Cal to thank. 

"Hello?" The old woman's soft and sweet voice rang through the room, causing the two to perk up. 

"Nanna, It's Cal." Cal said, putting on a sweet and innocent voice like he always did in front of her. Considering she was practically his own Nan as well, they were quite close.