THIRTY - FOUR

Charles...

Cold. My body, the ground I was on, I assumed wherever I was, was cold. Wet, or, damp, more like it. I couldn't see. Everything was black, but I knew I was awake.

Were my eyes open? I think they were, but I had no way of knowing for sure.

My body ached, and I don't think I had eaten for days. I would spend the time thinking back to when I wasn't kidnapped. You know, my mom, family, a certain girl I'm helping. Or, helped. I guess I can't be of much use if I'm here, right?

I didn't even see my attacker. I was in a house with eight other people, how did one person go unnoticed?

How did I not notice?

===

There was a sudden echo of metal hitting metal, and I stiffened. Footsteps became louder, now sounding more like heels, but I knew better.

"Charles Freeman." A husky voice called. "You've been here for days, wont you talk?"

"What am I to say?" I answered, now realizing how dry I sounded. I needed water.

"You sound awful, here, have this."

I assumed he was holding out something for me to take, but I didn't grab it. A few moments went up before I spoke,

"Well, I would like to see if I am to get something. Wouldn't want it to be poison."

"Huh, you have a point there." He chuckled, and started to remove something off my head.

I guess I had the blindfold on for too long it just became impossible to feel. It happens.

"There." He said.

"Wow." I replied, "you look so different in person."

He chuckled as I tried to identify him.

Dark slicked back hair and striking brown eyes. Suit and all, it was Victor Russo.

"So, why me?" I asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" He smiled, "your trying something against me, and I don't like it."

"Well, I feel flattered that you think of us that way. The fact that I managed to get you focused on us must mean something."

"Oh, don't go filling your head with lies." He frowned playfully. "I would be more worried about what's going to happen to you."

"What's going to happen to me?"

He didn't say, but pushed a plate full of chicken and spinach to me. Along with a cup of water. I didn't eat it until he left, and I checked before too.

I'm not going to lie to you, I'm in pure fear right now. I don't want to be held up in a cement room with no windows and limited air, that's not something I have on my bucket list.

I had every intention of getting out of here, but a certain fear kept me sitting in the corner. One, I couldn't make it passed the door if I tried, because I had chains on my wrists. Two, I have a fear of failing.

I'm sure everyone, at one point or another has a fear of failing. I have mine with me all the time, but right now, its through the roof!

If I manage to escape this place but dont make it far enough to save someone, what victory is that?

What if I make it out the door, only to find that my death and failure await?

I won't do that to myself.

So until I have a good chance, I'm staying right where I am. Just like I was taught.

°°°