TWENTY - TWO

Victoria...

It all happened so fast. Maybe too fast for my liking.

The day I went shopping, that night, I went to sleep. Like normal. I went to sleep on the silky red floral bed, thinking about, well, nothing.

It's always been like this, atleast for me. Whenever something bad happens, whenever a day is going to be bad, I know. I always know.

I get a pit in my stomach, and that pit usually comes sunday. I dont like sundays.

So when I awoke, I expected to feel awful.

But I didn't.

The last time I didn't feel bad like this, on a sunday... I almost died.

Am I going to die today?

===

There was a faint sound of footsteps coming up by the living room.

I felt cold as it was so early in the morning. I had overalls on, but not even a sweater couldn't stop me from shivering.

"Are you ready, Tori?"

I knew Charles used that little nickname when things weren't serious like this. He must have wanted to calm me down.

"I hope so." I murmered, lowly so no one could hear, and got up.

Me and him walked out of the house and got into a car.

I wont lie and say that I was looking at everything, because I wasn't. I mean, I might have wanted to, but in that moment, I just felt like I was going through the motions.

I didn't feel like I was really there. Somewhere in the back of my head, I knew that I would just forget everything. All of this - the walking out of the house, getting into the car, driving passed New York.

Not even the sights amazed me, I was too focused on... well.... nothing.

I was able to focus on the light buzz of the car, but not even that could relieve this feeling from me. Well, if I could call it a feeling? Because, there was no feeling - not like there usually is on Sundays.

I was out of it, for a while, I assumed, until i felt a hand on my shoulder. We had arrived.

====

"Were here." Charles said softly.

I nodded and got out of the car, my one black suitcase in hand.

It didn't hold much (because I didn't own much) mostly just clothes Ethan had bought me.

We walked up to and old looking house. It wasn't old enough for someone to say it was on the brink of collapsing, but it was old enough to be in a black and white movie.

It reminded me of the house that was used in The Conjuring. I, unfortunately, only got to see a little of it.

For a girl to be scared of heights and spiders, I suprise myself with these types of facts. That I can watch a horror movie and laugh, but scream at the sight of a daddy long legs.

And... I'm avoiding the main plot.

We stood on the porch for a while, and I started to wonder if the people were actually even home. The windows were tinted a little too dar, and I was wondering why they were even tinted at all.

Charles put his hand on my shoulder gently, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"These are good people I am leaving you with. I promise they will treat you like their own child."