TWENTY - EIGHT

Victoria...

"Tell me, how did you manage to sneak into my car?"

I could feel my heart pounding against my chest.

"I...I guess I must have gotten in before you did."

"Uh huh..." he paused and ran a hand through his hair. "And why did you do that?"

I stilled.

I already told him why, and telling him again would only make me feel like an idiot.

A dumb useless girl, whose nothing but trouble.

"I- I got a really bad feeling." I answered truthfully.

"A really bad feeling?"

"Look, I know how it sounds, but that's the best way I can put it."

Oh my! Where did this new Confidence come from? The last time I talked to someone like this was in the 3rd grade. To a child my age.

"Well, do you have any idea why you got that feeling? Are you sick... or..."

"Aaron answered that for me. And, no, I'm not sick. This feeling is just kind of like... a sixth sense? If that makes any sense."

"Dont look at me crazy, but it does." Charles supported, and I looked up at him with hopeful eyes. "I get a type of sense like that too. When you know something's wrong, or when something's going to happen. I like to think it comes with the job."

"So, you dont think I'm crazy?"

"No, Tori, you're fine. Except for sneaking into my car, that we're going to have to talk about that later." He gave me a silly smirk, putting me at ease.

I smiled gratefully, now knowing there werent any misunderstandings.

"But, do you mind telling what you think caused this?"

"I- uh, mmm- I dont know. I never do, it just... happens." I whispered.

"...right."

He got up from his seat and over to a desk, picking up a couple papers.

"Is that for my new foster home?" I asked.

"Yes - you said you wanted to talk to me about that. Why dont you go ahead and tell me now." He said, keeping his eyes on the paper.

"Oh.." I felt my stomach sink down in embarrassment and nervousment. It was an unpleasant feeling, but I would rather have that over the feeling of nothing any time.

"About my new home... can I not go?"

He stopped and dropped the papers. Like a white waterfall, they fell onto the ground swiftly.

"You dont want to go?" He asked slowly. That made me nervouse.

"I- I promise I'm not being ungrateful! I am grateful for what you tried to do but-bu-bu-"

"Tori, stop. Breath first." He tried consoling.

I took in a deep breath and tried to calm myself.

"I'm sorry, I am very very grateful for what you did and are trying to do, but-"

"Just explain yourself calmly. I'll listen." Charles said softly.

"Just - being with those people, it's the same as a foster home. And, I've been with bad people. I just dont think I can live there, constantly remembering everything that's been done to me."

He looked at me with a sparkle in his eyes. He was listening, I mean, really, listening.

"Something about you, and maybe the Cruz brothers makes me feel safe. You, well, you're a lawman. You obey the law. You're good, and I trust you."