58

My phone rang. Issac. I sighed and turned it off. I looked back at my brother as he held his fists up in a fighting position.

I let out a breath. I went at him again. Alex was training me, reinforcing some hand-to-hand combat. He blocked me, then blocked me again. I kicked him back with my foot. He extended his hands out and I was lifted off my feet and flown back a couple of yards.

"Thought we said no powers," I said, groaning as I stood up.

"Well, the Oni has the power of pulling a sword out of their chest," he replied. "Come on. Use your power, too."

"How do you mean?" I asked.

"You can read my freaking mind," he said, gesturing to his head. "Anticipate what I'm gonna do next. Read my moves."

I tried again. I read his first move. I ducked, then hit his ribs. I was going to punch his face, but he grabbed my hand and pulled it away. I blocked his other arm, grabbed it, then twisted it, and kicked his knee. He dropped and I held his arm back. He groaned in pain, then I let go.

"Slightly better... " His phone rung. He looked at it.

"Issac... " he said. "Now why would he be trying to call me?" He picked up the phone. "Lucy's here with me. We're training at the park... It's not cold to us... Stiles? What do you mean he's missing?" Alex walked towards me and put the phone on speaker.

"He doesn't know where he is. He says he might have been sleepwalking. He's somewhere cold in an industrial basement," Issac explained. "He said there's something wrong with his leg. It's like, bleeding, or something. His jeep's missing, too."

"So what's the plan?" I asked.

"Scott and I are going to his house, get a better scent," he replied.

"What can we do?" Alex asked.

"Well, we gotta find them," he replied. "But, uh, Scott says Stiles doesn't want his dad to know... I gotta go."

"Come on," I told Alex, grabbing my bag.

"Where are we going?" he asked. "We don't even know where to start. There are thousands of places with basements."

"We're going to the Sheriff," I told him as we got into the car.

"The Sheriff as in Stiles's dad, who he doesn't want to get involved?"

"Yes," I nodded. "It is supposed to get colder. His dad should know he is missing. If I were missing but told you not to tell Olivia, would you still tell her?" Alex said nothing. "Exactly so drive."

We got to the Sheriff's station. We entered, got past the front desk, then walked into the busy office area. Olivia was sitting down, stacking papers.

She looked up at us and said with a smile, "What are you doing here? Don't tell me you went to get me dinner."

"Sorry, but no," I said. She took on a concerned expression. "Actually, we're gonna make tonight a busy night for the station. Liv, where's the sheriff?"

"Someone call me?"

We turned around. The sheriff came in and saw us. He immediately knew something was up.