29

"So... tell me about my parents," I asked of Deaton. I helped him with a few of his easy chores while I was there. Filing papers, cleaning, and organizing.

"They were both very intelligent," Deaton answered. "Both loved their children. I was actually the first person to hold you after your parents."

"Really?" I laughed lightly. "Hey, so could you tell me more about what I am? I mean, my powers."

"Contrary to what people say, you are one of the most powerful of fairies," said Deaton. "You can heal yourself and others. See into memories, know when people lie."

"Yeah, I got that down," I muttered.

"Can you create illusions?" he asked me. I furrowed my eyebrows. "There are stages in a fairy, just like the stages of a caterpillar to a butterfly. Your powers don't enact until you are of- "

"I was eight," I told him.

"I believe that you will get stronger," Deaton told me. "You will unlock new powers. That goes for your brother, too."

"Do you think we could get our wings somehow?" I asked.

"There is an old myth," said Deaton. He grabbed a book from a drawer and set it on the table in front of me. "You have heard that the fairies had lost their wings, yes?"

I nodded. "They were torn and burned off their body."

"Well, I have heard that isn't all true. In the old times, the fairies had lost their wings in war... but, if you do a good enough deed, I hear you earn your wings."

"How do you know this is real?" I asked.

"I've seen it happen," he said with a smile. "In Korea, that is. You may be the last of your kind here, but there are still many all over the globe. The one I know picked up a job in law enforcement to catch criminals. She's like you - she can see the memories of people and determine if they are guilty... " he trailed off. Something in his mind clicked.

"Lucy," he said, looking at me. "You can find out the why. Why the master is controlling the kanima."

"Is the why important?" I asked.

"If you want him behind bars, yes," he nodded. "You can find his motive. You can see who exactly he might be after next."

:::

Alex and I got to Lydia's house. It was her birthday today. She opened the door with a tray of punch in her hand. We greeted her, smiling, and we dropped off our presents at the door. I had gotten her this necklace and Alex had gotten her some makeup that I had recommended he get.

Inside, it was almost empty. There were a few people, but unlike the party at the start of the year, I could walk through the house without having to bump into people.

"Oh, hey, Scott!" I called and we jogged up to them. "Stiles. Did you find Jackson?"

"No," Scott replied. "Hey, can you even walk and move around?"

"I was stabbed in the stomach, not my leg," I said. "I'm fine."

"Where's Allison?" Scott asked.

"Didn't see her," Stiles responded. "But we should probably tell her what we found."

"What did we find?" I questioned, looking at Scott.

"I figured out it has something to do with water," Stiles explained. "You know, the fact that all the victims were on the swim team, the way the kanima reacted around the pool."

"So whoever's controlling the kanima really hates the swim team," Scott concluded.

"Hated the swim team," he corrected. "Specifically the 2006 swim team. So it could be another teacher. Maybe like a student back then. I mean, who're we missing? What haven't we thought of?"