46

Alex was rushed to the hospital. I followed him in. He laid on the gurney still. They pushed him behind double doors. I tried to follow but one of the doctors held me back.

"Miss, you can't go any further," he said. "We will do everything we can to save him. Please wait in the waiting room. We'll give you any updates."

"Lucy." I turned around, almost bumping into Scott's mom. "What happened?"

"He was shot," I responded quickly. "He, uh, is he gonna die? He - he can't die. I- "

"Lucy, are you with someone?" she asked.

"I, uh, yeah- "

"I'm with her!" Issac jogged up to us.

"Stay with her," Ms. McCall told him. She looked at me. "Lucy, the operation should take no more than three hours, okay?"

Issac put his arm around me, leading me to the waiting room. We sat and I put my head down as I brushed my hair back. I checked my phone constantly for her message. Olivia hadn't responded yet.

I looked at the clock. An hour had passed. I got up, beginning to pace back in forth. Alex couldn't die. Okay, he was stronger than that - than me. He was my support beam. The one I could go to for advice, the one who protected me. I couldn't protect him or heal him.

"Lucy... "

I kept pacing. I was picking at my lip again. I was shaking my hands every now and then as if that relieved the stress. I glanced at the clock again. Another hour passed.

"Lucy!" I looked at Issac as he stood up. "Lucy, stop. Okay, take a seat."

He took my hands in his and pulled them from my mouth. He looked at my lips. I felt blood. His hand raised and he wiped the blood away.

"Come sit."

I took a seat again. He still held my hand and I rested against his shoulder. The time went by fast and slow at the same time. It got slower every time I looked at the clock.

"He's going to be fine," Issac assured.

:::

"Excuse me- "

I sat up and looked around as my eyes adjusted to the brightness. The doctor appeared in front of me.

"What time is it?" I asked, standing up.

"Eight o'clock," he answered. "In the morning."

"Morning?" Issac questioned, standing up. "Wasn't it supposed to take three hours max?"

"Yes," the doctor nodded. "There were some... complications."

"Complications?" I asked.

"The surgeons found it difficult to collect all the bullet fragments," he explained. "On top of that, his skin around the wound had, interestingly, burned. And there was a moment where our electricity kept going on and off."

I glanced at Issac. "So how is he?" Issac asked him, impatient, looking away from me.

"Fortunately, we were able to find them all," he smiled. I sighed in relief. "We've put an antibiotic cream on his burns, hopefully, it will soothe the burns and it'll die down."

"Can I see him soon?" I asked, hopeful.

He nodded. "He'll be on the third floor. Second room on the left hall."