20

"The full moon's approaching," Scott breathed out. I looked away from Derek leaving and looked at Scott. "There are chains- "

"No," I shook my head. "No, I am not locking you up... " I told him. "Okay, I'm not... I'm not putting you in that thing where I just saw someone get tortured in there, okay?"

"It's different," Scott said. "I'm running out of time by the second."

"Listen to me... what I saw... he was pounding on the doors... okay this happened for years!" I told him. I didn't mean to raise my voice. "Okay, even though it's voluntary, I can't hear you trying to get out."

"No one else is here, you have to," Scott urged.

"No!" I refused, stepping back. "Do you know how many times I have had to listen and seen someone being trapped?

"Okay, first it was a boy. He was maybe a few years older than me. He probably burned to death by an iron trap. The chains rattled, trying to break free. The people in the Hale house, being burned alive, screaming, calling for help- "

Scott engulfed me in a hug, in which I buried my face in his chest. "Okay, I get it," Scott said in a quiet voice.

He pulled away and looked down at the ground, breathing heavily. He slowly looked up. Hair grew on his face, his eyes glowed yellow, and his claws grew sharper along with his teeth.

"Go! Get out, now! Before I lose control!"

"Okay, but I can't just leave you... " I said.

My phone beeped. I looked down at it. "Stiles texted," I told him. "Allison's coming... Can I leave you?"

He nodded.

"Don't hurt her," I said, looking at him sadly. "Don't hurt yourself either."

I hurried up the stairs, closed the door, and walked outside. There, I saw Stiles's jeep with Derek inside.

"Come on, get in," Stiles said. I did so and he pressed on the gas. "We're breaking Issac out. The Argents are planning to kill him with wolfsbane."

"What about your father? Olivia?" I asked.

"They're out on a call," Stiles answered.

Stiles drove into a parking space near the entrance of the police station.

"Okay, now the keys to every cell are in a password-protected lockbox in my father's office," Stiles informed. "The problem is getting past the front desk."

"I'll distract her," Derek said, referring to the woman we saw through the window.

"Woah." Stiles grabbed him. "You're not going in there." Derek looked at him with a serious expression. "I'm taking my hand off."

"I was exonerated," Derek said.

"You're still a person of interest," I told him.

"I'm sorry, why are you here? What help can you provide? All you do is read minds and emotions," Derek remarked.

I scoffed. "Least I didn't kill anyone."

"I'm innocent," he snarled.

"You?" Stiles held back a laugh. "Yeah... right!" Derek shrugged. "Okay, fine. What's your plan?"

"To distract her," he replied.

"Yeah? How? By punching her in the face?" Stiles questioned, hinting he had done that before.

He let out a dry laugh. "By talking to her."

"All right. Give me a sample. What are you gonna open with?" Stiles said. "Pretend Lucy's that woman."