02

THE SUN'S RAYS SHONE THROUGH MY WINDOW. It was 6:15 when I checked the time. Somehow, I was both a night owl and an early bird. Even if I went to sleep past midnight, I could get up at six o'clock in the morning – sometimes even earlier.

Waking up this early in the morning, I had time to sort through my clothes, hoping to find something nice to wear. The first day of school was always important, especially being the new girl in the middle of the school year. It was going to be a tough year. Thankfully, I already knew at least one person since we were social media friends.

I wore a white crop and high-waisted jeans. I wore shoes and put on a jean jacket to complete the look. I favored casual looks rather than fancy looks – too expensive. Besides, I didn't need to stand out too much.

By seven o'clock, Olivia had woken up, Alex waking a few minutes after. As I helped Olivia with breakfast, I could tell she was in a happy mood. She was energized – probably from the coffee – and did a little dance as she walked.

As I ate my toast in my room, I packed my bag with everything I might need. Since it was only the first day, the only things I needed to bring were a binder, extra paper, pencils, and a notebook. I hoped the teachers were nice and didn't give homework on the first day of school.

"Guys!" Olivia called from downstairs. "In the car in ten!"

It was 7:30. I swung my bag onto my shoulder, made sure I had everything, then left my room. I knocked on Alex's door and opened it. I was about to ask if he was ready but stopped myself as I watched him put on a jacket over his hoodie.

"You know it's gonna be hot today, right?" I questioned.

"So?" he responded, grabbing his bag.

We both got to the car where Olivia was waiting for us. She unlocked the doors and I called shotgun.

"Call me when you want to be picked up," she said on our way to the school. "If I'm not available, walk or take the bus."

We entered the parking lot. There weren't too many students. I feared we were late. I would rather just go in and sit down. I didn't need to be "fashionably late" and introduce myself, however, signs were telling me that's exactly what I had to do.

Alex and I headed to the principal's office. It was a good thing no one paid too much attention, to me anyway. The girls, however, were drooling over my brother. The number of things I heard them say disgusted me. He wasn't even that handsome.

We entered the office, cutting off a conversation. A girl with curled, dark brown hair was sitting in front of the principal. She turned around to us and gave a small smile.

"Sorry... should we have knocked?" Alex spoke, his eyes falling on the girl.

I nudged him in the arm. Once my brother set eyes on her, he thought she was pretty. I mean, my brother wasn't wrong. She was beautiful with her glossy, pink lips and her dimples when she smiled. I shook my head ashamed. This guy had a girlfriend.

"No worries," he said with a kind smile. "I take it you're Alexander and Lucy Moore?"

We nodded.

"Should I wait outside?" asked the girl.

"Please," he nodded. "Thank you."