30

I opened my eyes. There was a party. I saw a trophy sitting on a table. They had just won the state championships. I remembered that Mr. Lahey would often host parties at his house. The whole of the 2006 swim team was present - Lahey, the two people in the trailer, and the girl at the rave.

The amount of alcohol was poisoning. Alex tapped me and I looked to where he pointed. People grabbed Matt's arms and legs. Matt was only a child then. And they threw him into the pool.

We watched as he tried to swim, but he couldn't. He splashed and kicked, trying to yell for help. No one seemed to notice him. They were doing their own thing. And then finally, Mr. Lahey pulled him out.

"This is your fault! You don't know how to swim? What kind of b*stard doesn't know how to swim?! You say nothing. You tell no one!"

I pulled my hand out of the water. I glanced at Alex with a knowing look.

"We gotta go to the station, now," I said urgently.

We ran back to our car, but the tires were slashed. I looked around, knowing the only person who would do this was Jackson in his kanima form or Matt.

We had to run to the sheriff's station. We burst through the doors and to the lady at the reception table. She furrowed her eyebrows and stopped us.

"What are you kids doing here?" she asked.

"We need to see the sheriff," I told her, out of breath. "Olivia. She's our guardian. Thank you."

"Hey!"

We ran into the room we saw silhouettes. We opened the door and their heads turned to us.

"What are you two doing here?" Olivia asked, standing up straighter.

"You can scold us later, but we found it," Alex said quickly.

"Found what?" she asked.

"The motive," I said. "We know why Matt's killing people."

"And how do you know?" Stilinski asked.

"Uh, long story?" Alex chuckled nervously. "You just gotta trust us."

"It all fits," Stiles exclaimed. "If it's his footprint, it puts him at the scene of three murders. The trailer, the hospital, the rave."

"Actually four," Olivia said. "A credit card receipt for an oil change was signed by Matt at the garage where the mechanic was killed."

"When?" Stiles asked.

"Couple hours before you got there," Stilinski answered.

"And he wants the swim team dead because... " Olivia looked to me.

"For revenge," I answered. "For letting him drown."

"Okay, so if one's an incident, two's a coincidence, and three's a pattern, what's four and a possible motive?" Stiles asked.

"Four's enough for a warrant," he said. "A motive can hold him in jail. Scott, call your mom back, see how quick she can get here. If I can get an official ID, I can get a search warrant. Stiles, go to the front desk. Tell them to let Scott's mom in when she gets here."

"I will deal with you two later," Olivia said, pointing to us.

"She's on her way here," Scott said after hanging up. "Sheriff?"

We turned around. Stiles walked inside. Matt held a gun at his back, pushing him forward.

"Matt," said Stilinski cautiously. "It's Matt, right? Matt, whatever's going on, I guarantee you there's a solution that doesn't involve a gun."