53

Economics. I sat in my seat, staring at the two pieces of the pen in front of me on the desk. I was thinking. I had it researched. Maybe, with enough energy and enough strength, it could be mended back together.

I did not have enough strength or the energy to do it.

"Lucy!" Coach blew his whistle. I looked up at him. "What are you staring at? Pay attention!" He sighed. "Stilinski, care to answer the question? Stilinski? Are you paying attention back there?! Is anyone paying attention?!"

I looked at him. He was focused, writing something. Coach blew his whistle again for a long time until Stiles finally snapped out of it.

"Stilinski!" Coach yelled. "I asked you a question."

"Uh... sorry, Coach," Stiles responded. "What was it?"

"It was, 'Stilinski, are you paying attention back there,'" Coach answered.

"Well, I am now," Stiles responded.

"Stilinski, stop reminding me why I drink... every night," he added quietly.

"I'm okay," Stiles assured us. He was not. "I just fell asleep for a second."

"Stiles," I trailed off. "You weren't asleep." I motioned to his paper with my eyes.

:::

"Lu, you've been staring at that pen for the entire day," Scott said as he joined me, snapping me out of my thoughts. "What's so important about it?"

I scoffed. "What's so important about it? Let's see... Just that it was the one thing I'm good at - was good at."

A few minutes later, the others joined us at the picnic table. They were the only ones who knew about what happened and could give suggestions on how to make it stop - the nightmares, the hallucinations.

"Okay, so what happens to a person who has a near-death experience and comes out of it seeing things?"

"And is unable to tell what's real or not?" Stiles added.

"And is being haunted by demonic visions of dead relatives," Allison chimed in and I pointed towards her, agreeing with her.

"They're all locked up because they're insane," Issac answered.

"Can you at least try to be helpful, please?" Stiles remarked.

"For half my childhood, I was locked in a freezer," Issac said back. "So being helpful is kind of a new thing for me."

I groaned, looking at my pen as they continued to bicker. I let out an exasperated sigh and I heard people moaning in pain. I looked around and Issac, Alex, Scott, Stiles, Lydia, and Allison began to get back onto their seats.

"What happened?"

"I think you just hit us with a wave of anxiety and frustration," Stiles replied, sitting down. "Literally."

"Sorry," I muttered.

"Hi." I looked up at a girl. She was Asian and quite pretty. I think I saw her in one of my classes. She was our history teacher's daughter. It was interesting. I felt this sort of aura around her.

"Hi, sorry. Couldn't help overhearing what you guys were talking about," she said. "And I think I actually might know what you're talking about. There's a Tibetan word for it. It's called Bardo. It literally means in-between state. The state between life and death."