Chapter 26: OH MY GOD!

*                *              *

It was about midnight when the doctors had wheeled my dad into the SICU (Surgical Intensive Care Unit) and  were now starting his surgery. My mom, Cope, Patrick, Corey and I were all sitting in the waiting room. I was sitting on Patrick’s lap while Cope was sitting on Corey’s lap. We all were just waiting… and waiting… and waiting, until about 2 hours after they took him in for the operation, the doctor came into the waiting room and said that the procedure was complete and that his family members could go see him now. Corey, Cope and Patrick stayed in the waiting room while my mom and I got up and followed the doctor into the room that my dad was in. I gasped as I saw my dad laying on the hospital bed, with tubes coming out of his mouth and oxygen tank nubs in his nose. He a had a big neck brace on, his right arm was already wrapped up in a black cast and his leg already had a big boot on it. He had stitches all along his forehead where he hit his head on the light pole.

“Oh. My. God! BABY!!” My mom screamed as she ran up to him and took his left hand in her hands.

“DADDY!” I shrieked. I started crying and I couldn't stop myself.

Just then the doctor walked back in and started working with the computer monitor.

“We don’t think he’ll ever fully recover from this accident. And I’m sorry to say this but were not even sure if he’ll be able to survive after all this trauma. He lost a lot of blood due to the crash and thanks to you girls donating blood, he atleast now has a fighting chance to survive.” The doctor said as he turned around to face us.

My mom and I sat in the room with my dad for the next hour or so before the doctor came in with his assistant and said that they needed to run some tests on him. They pulled the bed that he was on out of the room and down the hall. We both stood up and walked back to the waiting area to find Patrick, Cope and Corey still waiting for us.

“Hey Kena.” Patrick said with a sorrowful voice.

“Hey.” I said as I looked down at my feet and walked over to Patrick.

“How’s he doing?” Patrick asked, he stood up and embrace me in a huge hug.

“Not good.” I responded. “They don't even know if he’s gunna survive.” I said as I broke down into tears.

“Oh… I’m so sorry.”

We all took a seat in the room as we waited for more news about my father. We were waiting for about another two hours before we heard anymore news about him.

“Um… Mrs. and Ms. Lucker?” The doctor asked.

“Yes?” My mom and I said as we stood up.

“Can you please follow me?” He said.

We followed the doctor into a room across the hall from the waiting area. It was a small room with three blue walls and one wall, facing the hallway, that was all glass. He turned around and shut the door.

“I hate to be the bearer of bad news but,... Mr. Lucker has… passed away. I’m so sorry for your loss.” The doctor said. He got up and left the room.

My mom and I both just started bawling. My dad just died. I can’t believe it. I don’t know what i’m gunna do! He’s always been there for me when I need to talk. He helped me when I was depressed. Now he’s just… gone. I thought to myself. I stood up from the chair I was sitting in and ran out. I ran out of the room, and right out of the hospital. I ran around the corner and sat down and a set of concrete stairs. I started to scream.