Strawberries in May (Frodo x reader)

As the sun rose over the Shire, you walked out of your hobbit hole, breathing in the fresh morning air. It was the middle of April and everything was blooming as spring arrived. There were vibrant green leaves on the trees, flowers blossoming, and birds singing. Very soon, the strawberries would ripen and all the hobbits would go strawberry picking. You too would go to the best strawberry spot that you knew with a couple baskets for picking. Except unlike all the other hobbits, you would go alone.

Although you were a rather outgoing hobbit, you only had three friends. You had known them since childhood and they were the closest people you had. They were Frodo Baggins, Samwise Gamgee, Peregrin Took, and Meriadoc Brandybuck. Each of them had a special place in your heart and you had sweet memories with all of them, but it was Frodo who made you smile more than anyone else.

You had loved Frodo. It was a youthful love, but it was still strong and true. You still loved him and would for the rest of your days, but it was different now. Now Frodo was gone, and you weren't sure if you would ever see him again.

It had all started on the 111th birthday of Frodo's uncle, Bilbo. The old hobbit disappeared  mysteriously and Frodo started acting very strange for no reason. He was constantly anxious and it was much harder to get him out of the house. You didn't understand what was wrong with him, but you thought that maybe he was upset about the fact that Bilbo disappeared. Therefore, you made your very best effort to cheer him up and distract him from those sad thoughts. It almost worked, until one day you found the hobbit hole at Bag End to be empty. Frodo was nowhere to be found, and neither were Sam, Pippin, or Merry. You hadn't been sure what to do, or where to find them. No one had seen them go or knew anything about the matter. All you could do was wait, and hope with all of your heart that your friends would come back. That Frodo would come back.

Eleven months had passed since the day they disappeared, and still there was no news of them. You wondered if they were even alive, but then reprimanded yourself for thinking that. They had to be alive. 

You spent the morning going about your regular chores and tasks, and then settled down for afternoon tea like every other hobbit in the Shire. You were sitting outside, and as you turned your gaze to the winding road through the Shire, you saw four figures in the distance. 

You couldn't make out who the figures were, but your heart was beating excitedly in anticipation. Could there be a chance that it was your friends, returning from wherever they had went?

You watched as the figures continued along the road. Soon enough, you were able to see that they were riding on ponies. That meant that they were most likely hobbits, since men did not ride on ponies. 

The riders continued making their way along the road and were soon  passing by your hobbit hole. You let out a gasp as you saw the familiar faces approaching and ran out onto the road.

"Frodo!" you cried. "Sam, Pippin Merry!". The four hobbits stopped their ponies.

"Y/N," Frodo said, wonder on his face. "Is it really you?".

"Yes Frodo," you replied. You gazed up into his face, noticing that it was different. He looked tired, worn out perhaps, and maybe a little bit broken. "Where have you been?" you asked quietly. 

"I'll tell you one day," Frodo replied. "Not today though". Before you could argue, Merry spoke up.

"We're a bit hungry over here, Pip and I are. We've been rather rudely underfed for the last eleven months or so".

"Well lucky for you, it's just time for afternoon tea," you said with a smile, though inside you were worried about Frodo. "Come right in". You gestured for them to tie their ponies to the fence post and walk into your yard.