Keep Your Head Up (Bard x reader songfic) (song by Andy Grammer)

You had known Bard since both of you were children and you had always been best friends. You'd been the one who had introduced him to the girl that would become his future wife, and you were there with him through all the ups and downs of his life, from his wedding to the death of his wife to the present day. You knew he was struggling. After all, he did have three children to feed and clothe and his job didn't pay that well, but with your help he had always managed to come back up again. Your job as a seamstress payed well and you were often able to give Bard some money to make life a little easier for him. Honestly, you would never think twice about it as he was your friend and you had more than enough for yourself. There was no reason why you shouldn't help him. 

One day as you were working on an order, the little bell at the door rang and you looked up to see Tilda walk in.

"Good day Tilda love," you said, smiling. "What can I do for you?".

"Please, fix Da," the little girl said.

"Fix him?" you asked. "Why do you think he is broken?". Bard had been struggling again a little bit recently, but it wasn't bad enough to say he was broken.

"He doesn't laugh or smile anymore," Tilda replied. "Sometimes he paces around the house, sometimes he just sits there with a blank face. Sometimes he gets up with a start and walks outside quickly, but then returns within a couple minutes and sits back down with this big sigh. Please Y/N, do something".

"Hmmm," you said, a little bit concerned. "I'll see what I can do. Where is your Da now?".

"I think he went to the dock where his barge is".

"Thank you. Now you run along home and I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong". Tilda hugged you tightly before running off. You put down your work and walked out of your shop, heading towards the dock.

As you walked up to the dock, you saw Bard talking with another man.

"Well it looks to be in pretty good condition," the man was saying. "I'm not sure how much my master will take for it, but I'm sure he'll pay you a visit soon enough".

"Of course," Bard replied. "I will seal the deal then, if he offers a good enough price". The two shook hands and the man walked away.

"What's this Bard?" you asked, walking up and frowning. "Who was that man and what agreement did you make with him?".

"Oh, it was nothing Y/N," your friend replied. "Just a conversation".

"Bard," you said, shaking your head. "I know you too well. Don't lie to me. What's going on?".

"Y/N really...".

"Don't try to hide from me Bard. I know something's wrong. Even your children know it. Do you know that Tilda came to pay me a visit today? She asked me to fix you. Basically said you weren't yourself. Since when have you become like that Bard?".

"It's for them I do what I do," your friend said heavily. "For my children. I'm low on money Y/N, lower than ever. The bargeman's job isn't bringing in enough for me to be able to properly care for them. I can't let them starve, I don't give them enough as it is. That was Alfrid's man there. I'm going to sell my barge to him for a decent sum of money and find a trade that's more profitable than a bargeman. There's nothing else to it Y/N".

"You're going to what?" you asked indignantly. "Did I hear you wrong or are you really going to make a deal with that rat Alfrid? Since when did you get so low? That barge has saved your skin more than once, and yet you're choosing to barter it away. And for what? You think Alfrid will be honest with you? No! He'll pay you a quarter of what your barge is worth and leave you living in the streets. He doesn't need your barge Bard, he just wants to see you brought low. He hates you and he's sick and tired of seeing you bounce back up from every misfortune that falls upon you, so he's setting you a trap. And what do you do? You walk straight into that trap. I'm disappointed in you Bard, I thought you were a stronger man".