Warrior (Legolas x reader)

So this one is sort of based on Mulan- it's obviously not going to be completely the same but there are definitely elements of Mulan in this...

The night you made the choice to hide your identity as a woman and join King Thranduil's army as a man, you were not yourself. It was the night when your whole family was attacked by orcs on an outing. No one survived the attack, with your father not being able to fight well because of the loss of his leg in a recent battle, and your mother trying to protect your younger siblings. No one survived except you. 

However, nobody knew that. You hadn't been found with the bodies of the dead, but you hadn't left any evidence that you were alive either. Maybe it was because you didn't want pity, or maybe it was because you couldn't figure out how you would survive without your family, but for whatever reason you had decided that the girl named Y/N would seize to exist, and a boy named Leon would take her place. 

It was a reckless plan. Not only were you hiding the fact that you were alive, you were hiding your identity and masking your face behind the face of another. Yet as you sat high in a tree, trying to suppress your tears, it seemed like the only way you could continue with your life. 

The first step of the transformation would be to cut your hair. While male elves also had long hair, it wasn't as long as the hair of female elves. Therefore, using your knife, you proceeded to cut off your hair until it was just below shoulder length. 

You weren't a very noble elf so you didn't have to worry about people recognizing you, especially considering your heavily battered face and the fact that you would wear a hood. 

In this state you presented yourself before the king, saying that you were an orphan from Rivendell, and asking for a place in his army. He didn't pay you much attention, just bade his secretary to give you a paper of recommendation to his head general. That was all you needed, and within an hour you were given an army issue uniform and provided with a cot in the barracks. 

Over the next couple weeks, you trained vigorously with the rest of the soldiers and practiced carrying guard duty. Prince Legolas would often join the soldiers for training and you often found yourself admiring the way he fought. Perhaps you admired even more than that. However gazing at him did you no good, as you stumbled and messed up your combat moves more than ever. You weren't terrible, but you weren't good either, and you were worried that it might become a problem. 

One day, when you had yet again messed up your training moves, the trainer walked up to you.

"Leon, why are you staring at Prince Legolas constantly? You must practice, not stare".

"I am sorry," you said in your practiced low voice,  trying to justify your actions. "The prince fights very well".

"Unlike you," the trainer remarked. "Perhaps if you admire his technique so much, you could take a few lessons from him. Maybe that will help you. You would not mind Legolas?".

"Not at all," the prince replied with a smile. "I would love to help. Would you give us leave early next morning?".

"Certainly," the trainer agreed. "Now, let's continue!". You sighed and picked up your sword again, turning to your fencing opponent. Taking lessons from the prince was a great honor, but the stakes were also higher. And being in such close contact with him was risky as well. He could discover your true identity and then you would be kicked out of the army. 

You grunted as your opponent's sword hit you in the belly, the force sending you to the ground. 

"Rest for today Leon," the trainer said wearily. "Otherwise you'll get too injured for tomorrow". You retreated to the barracks in shame.